If you have neurological issues such as headaches, finding it hard to focus, abridged attention span, loss of retention and faintness, it could indicate there is harmful mold developing in your home.
These mold toxicity symptoms should not be ignored:
• Coughing or sneezing
• Headaches or Migraines
• Shortness of Breath
• Irritation of Eyes
• Chronic Fatigue
• Vomiting or Nausea
The symptoms of mold toxicity are often misdiagnosed as the common cold or flu. That’s concerning because living with mold for extended periods has been linked to problems affecting the central or nervous system.
Mycotoxins, or toxic substances from molds such as Stachybotrys chartarum, can have severe intellectual effects. That’s why Dr. Rick Sponaugle, a mold specialist, believes mold and depression go hand-in-hand.
Long-term effects of black mold exposure are severe, debilitating and could be life-threatening.
By using the following ways of detecting mold, you will determine which types of mold are lurking in your home without employing a mold inspector.
1. Paint bubbles on your walls
If you notice paint bubbling on the walls of your home, specifically on the walls of your bathroom or near the windows, the most common reason is moisture. And where there’s moisture, there’s probably mold.
For you to adequately cover it with a mold-killing primer, you need to identify the primary source of moisture. Once you answer the moisture concern, then you can repaint.
2. Bathroom Exhaust Fan Stops Working Properly
Mold is predominantly a common problem in bathrooms with inadequate ventilation. Your bathroom’s exhaust fan is an important device to keep toxic mold at bay — but it will not work if it is blocked or not running well.
If that’s the issue, you need to clean or replace your exhaust fan. Also, clean the walls regularly with Wet and Forget, a mold-killing product.
3. Your floor feels spongy
No one likes the feel of a supposedly solid floor bouncing or sagging underfoot. If you can access the subfloor through a crawl space or basement, check for moisture. If that’s not possible, you will have to pull up a section of flooring.
That moisture — and any mold development — will ultimately spread. If the wood floor is decomposed, the entire flooring needs to be changed. If the flooring is still in good condition and only has a small quantity of mold, it can be detached with mold remover.
4. Your house smells musty
Mold that grows unnoticed can pose a real health risk; fortunately, mold can reveal itself through smell. Recognizing it and doing something about it immediately is especially true for the elderly. Senior citizens’ bodies are not as resistant compared to younger patients and usually have other medical problems that may slow or even block the cure.
Long, direct contact to black mold can lead to symptoms such as depression, memory loss, trouble concentrating, anxiety and confusion.
Don’t let mold build up — in very unusual cases, mycotoxins have been connected to heart problems and memory issues. Even if your health isn’t in danger, your flooring, walls and appliances could be damaged.
For those exposed to mold, it will need to be removed; more exposure will lead to continuous health problems in the future.
How Quality Drywall Can Help
You know the saying: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. That’s certainly the case for mold and mildew.
These are some of the unique features that National Gypsum‘s PURPLE family of high-performance drywall products offer:
- They’re mold and mildew-resistant. PURPLE drywall products have earned the best-possible score among materials testing for mold resistance. That’s important in bathrooms, kitchens, basements, garages and other places where moisture collects, because mold and mildew are among the leading causes of poor indoor air quality.
- PURPLE drywall products are resistant to abuse. If you have kids or pets, you know how important this is. They can really do a number on walls in mudrooms, hallways and staircases. That resistance to scrapes, scratches and scuffs means you’ll spend less time making repairs and more time enjoying your family.
- There’s sound resistance. If you’re building or remodeling a room where noise — or the lack of it — is important, SoundBreak Wall Board and SoundBreak Retrofit Board will be music to your ears. Both products offer sound-resistant properties that reduce noise transmission between rooms. That’s ideal for media rooms, bedrooms, nurseries and more.
All of these features can make your home safer, more durable, and more comfortable. So, get the performance you deserve from your drywall. Ask for Purple.