The Ryobi Power Usage Meter allows you to determine how much power appliances and other electrical devices in your home are using.
To use the Ryobi Power Usage Meter:
- Input the price you’re paying for electricity to the device.
- Plug the usage meter into a wall outlet.
- Plug an appliance or other electrical device into the meter.
- Read the display to see how much power the device uses.
The Ryobi Power Usage Meter is available at The Home Depot.
- Easy Ways to Save Energy in Your Home (article)
- Conducting a Home Energy Audit (video)
- Eight Great Ways to Save on Heating Costs (article)
Jodi Marks: You know, I love hanging out in the tool aisle, but I love it even more when I can find a tool that helps me save money. And this right here by Ryobi will do just that. Now this is their power usage meter. And what this does is it helps you manage the power usage of all of the appliances in your home.
How does it work? Well, the first thing that you need to do is call your electric company, and find out what the rate is that they’re charging you per kilowatt hour. Then what you do is, you put that into this little computer here, and then you take this and you go around and plug all of your appliances directly into this. Now, you can plug it directly into the wall, or you can actually use an extension cord so that you can get to your appliances.
But after it calculates all of that, it will tell you what appliances are using the most power to operate. Then you can make a smart decision on what appliances need to be turned off, which ones need to be unplugged completely, and which ones need to be replaced.
And doing all of that, will definitely save you money on your power bill each month.