5. Provide Outside Access
Pet doors are a great way to allow a dog or cat easy access to the outside on demand. Pet doors, such as those from Patio Pacific, come in various sizes that can be installed in doors, walls, screens or widows.
6. Prevent Pet Damage to Your Home
To keep dogs and cats from damaging the foam weather stripping on the door to your home:
- Remove the damaged weather stripping by pulling it out of the groove.
- Replace it with new weather stripping that fits your door.
- Cut a strip of solid vinyl lattice molding to the height of the door casing.
- Nail the lattice in place over the weather stripping to prevent access.
- Set the nails below the surface, and fill the holes with spackling.
To protect corners on walls, doors, and cabinets from scratching, install clear plastic strips to cover the area using nails in predrilled holes.
7. Make Pets More Comfortable
Cats often like to sit on a windowsill and look outside, but the standard window stool isn’t wide enough to provide a comfortable perch. To remedy that problem:
- Use a pry bar and hammer to remove the existing window stool.
- Cut a solid wood shelf board to the proper length.
- Use a jigsaw to notch the shelf board around the window casing.
- Fit the shelf board into position on the window, and attach it with finishing nails.
- Cover the nail holes and joints with caulk.
- Prime and paint the shelf board.
Watch Videos from This Episode
- Tips for Safeguarding Pets in Your Home
- Tips for Eliminating Fleas in Your Home
- Tip for Keeping Your Dog from Digging Under a Fence Gate
- DIY Electronic Containment System for Dogs in Your Yard
- Innovative Pet Doors for Your Home
- How to Prevent Pet Damage to Weather Stripping on a Door
- How to Prevent Pet Damage to Woodwork and Furniture
- How to Make a Window Perch for Your Cat
Other Tips from This Episode
Simple Solutions with Joe Truini:
Aromatherapy for Your Home
To eliminate musty or stale odors and give your home a fresh scent, try sprinkling a few drops of either vanilla, orange, lemon or almond extract on your return air filter when you replace it every two to three months. Scented air will be sucked through the filter and distributed around your home. (Watch This Video)
Best New Products with Jodi Marks:
Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop
The Reveal Spray Mop from Rubbermaid has a reusable microfiber pad that picks up 50% more dirt than standard mops. It comes with a refillable spray bottle that can be filled with water or cleaning solution. The Reveal Spray Mop is available at The Home Depot.
(Watch This Video)
Thinking Green with Danny Lipford:
Recycled Plastic Fencing
Milk jugs can be reused in many useful ways around your home, including as scoops and bird feeders. In addition, the high-density polyethylene plastic in milk jugs can be recycled and made into composite fencing for your home that looks and feels like wood but is virtually maintenance-free. (Watch This Video)