Florida is one of the top ten sunniest states in the country, so it’s no wonder it’s one of the best places to invest in solar panels. If you’re a resident of the Sunshine State and are thinking about going solar, we have good news. Florida has some of the best solar installers in the country, from industry giants like SunPower to family-owned businesses like Solar Bear. In this article, we take you through the seven best solar companies in Florida to help you decide which company is right for you and your home.
Highest-Rated Solar Installation Companies in Florida
- SunPower: Best National Provider
- ADT Solar: Best Solar Warranty
- Blue Raven Solar: Best Solar Financing
- Momentum Solar: Best Customer Service
- Solar Source: Best Regional Provider
- SunVena: Outstanding Local Installer
- Solar Bear: Outstanding Local Installer
Compare the Best Solar Energy Companies in Florida
|Company||Our Take||Our Rating||BBB Rating||Warranty||In-House Installation||Cost|
|SunPower||Best National Provider||9.8||A+||25 years for equipment, workmanship, and efficiency||Sometimes||$$$$|
|ADT Solar||Best Solar Warranty||9.6||A-||25 years for equipment and performance||Yes||$$$|
|Blue Raven Solar||Best Solar Financing||9.4||A+||25 years for equipment||Yes||$$|
|Momentum Solar||Best Customer Service||9.5||A+||25 years for equipment and workmanship||Yes||$$$|
|Solar Source||Best Regional Provider||9.7||A+||10 to 25 years for equipment and labor||Yes||$$$|
|SunVena||Outstanding Local Installer||9.5||A+||25 years for equipment, workmanship, and performance||Yes||$$$$|
|Solar Bear||Outstanding Local Provider||9.3||A+||25 years for equipment, leak protection, workmanship, and power generation||Yes||$$$|
SunPower is one of the top solar providers in the country, offering top-notch customer service and state-of-the-art technology for almost three decades. The company only offers one brand of panels — Maxeon — and its prices are high, but its legions of customers are a testament to its quality. The company is currently moving to in-house installations instead of contracting out to other businesses, removing one of the only customer complaints we’ve seen and making SunPower an even better choice for Floridians.
For more details, read our full review of SunPower.
Pros & Cons
- High-quality panels and equipment
- Almost 30 years of experience
- Outstanding customer service
- Provides some of the most efficient products in the industry
- Not all installations are handled in-house
SunPower Cost, Warranty, & Services
SunPower carries its own Maxeon brand of solar panels, which can be good or bad depending on where your priorities lie. If you’re looking for an affordable solar system, SunPower isn’t for you, but if you want unmatched efficiency and excellent service, it’s a great option.
- Average Cost: The biggest downside to SunPower is the cost. SunPower solar systems cost well above average in Florida, making it difficult to justify choosing the brand if you’re on a tight budget. Most SunPower panels fall between $2.85 and $3.25 per watt, which means the average 11.5-kW system required in the area will total between $32,775 and $37,375 from this company.
- Warranty: SunPower’s warranty is superb, covering equipment and workmanship for 25 years. The company also guarantees power production for 25 years and has a roof leak warranty in case your solar system compromises your roofing.
- Solar Services: SunPower is a full-service solar company that offers panel installations, battery backups, electric vehicle (EV) chargers, and solar monitoring services.
- Financing Options: SunPower customers can pay for their panels in cash, via a solar loan, or choose to lease their panels. The company also offers power purchase agreements (PPAs), although these are becoming less popular.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: SunPower offers $100 to anyone who refers a customer who signs up for an in-home consultation.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: SunPower used to contract out its installations but has recently begun performing in-house installations. This is a good move and should improve the already outstanding customer experience.
- Solar Equipment Brands Offered: The company is not known for its variety. SunPower only carries Maxeon solar panels.
- Partnerships: SunPower is a Better Business Bureau (BBB) accredited company and has many partnerships with local installers in Florida and across the country.
ADT Solar (Previously Sunpro)
ADT acquired Sunpro in late 2021, marking the company’s entry into the solar industry. Even though ADT Solar is technically a new company, it benefits from the experience and infrastructure set up by Sunpro and continues to provide the stellar service Sunpro customers are accustomed to. ADT Solar offers the best solar warranty by far and is fairly affordable, making it a good middle-of-the-road choice for Floridians looking for a balance between cost and services.
For more details, read our full review of ADT Solar.
Pros & Cons
- Unparalleled solar warranty
- Statewide coverage
- Excellent selection
- Customer services leaves much to be desired
- Not Florida-specific
ADT Solar Cost, Warranty, & Services
ADT Solar succeeds at offering quality solar systems at reasonable prices without sacrificing options. The company suffers from questionable customer service, a common problem among larger solar companies.
- Average Cost: ADT Solar’s prices are average to above average by Florida standards.
- Warranty: The number one benefit of ADT Solar is its outstanding warranty, which covers your solar system, workmanship, and performance for 25 years.
- Solar Services: ADT Solar installs solar panels, battery backups, and EV chargers and offers energy efficiency upgrades throughout your solar system’s life to keep it producing as much clean energy as possible.
- Financing Options: The company has limited financing options and doesn’t offer leases or PPAs. Customers can pay with cash or take out a solar loan.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: As of this writing, ADT Solar offers $1,000 to anyone who recommends a new customer who signs up for solar service. The referral program is easy to use and handled via a mobile app.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: ADT Solar’s installations are conducted by an in-house team, so you don’t have to worry about dealing with multiple points of contact and independent contractors.
- Solar Equipment Brands Offered: The company carries several major solar equipment brands, including Panasonic, LG, and Tesla.
- Partnerships: ADT maintains relationships with Buildpro and Energypro to provide roofing and energy expertise to its solar customers as needed. The company is also certified by NABCEP, Unirac, and Enphase.
Blue Raven Solar
Blue Raven Solar is a national solar energy provider with Florida offices in Orlando and Tallahassee. The company is a bare-bones solar installer that currently only offers panel installation, although battery backups are listed as coming soon as of 2022. The two main benefits of choosing Blue Raven are its outstanding financing options and affordability. The company’s customer service has a great reputation and is better than most similarly-sized companies.
For more details, read our full review of Blue Raven.
Pros & Cons
- Best solar financing in the business
- Very affordable
- Stellar customer service
- Limited selection of brands
- Fewer services than most companies
Blue Raven Solar Cost, Warranty, & Services
Despite being a national solar provider, Blue Raven Solar is one of the best solar companies in Florida. The company’s representatives are friendly and helpful, making it feel like you’re dealing with a local company rather than a big corporation.
- Average Cost: Blue Raven Solar is very affordable, and its prices are below the Florida state averages.
- Warranty: Blue Raven’s warranty is good but not great. The company’s warranty covers equipment for 25 years and labor for 10.
- Solar Services: The company lags behind the rest of the solar industry when it comes to the services offered. As of this writing, Blue Raven Solar only offers solar panel installations. Battery backups are in the works and should be available sometime in 2022.
- Financing Options: Blue Raven outshines its competition in financing options. The company’s BluePower Plus+ program is handled entirely in-house by Blue Raven, making it one of the easiest financing programs to navigate that we’ve seen. Besides being seamless, the BluePower Plus+ program has several attractive financing options that make it easy to find the right plan for your financial situation. Qualified customers can choose between delayed payment plans, 0% interest for 24-month options, and standard loans.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: Blue Raven has a refer-a-friend program that offers $1,000 for each of your first two referrals and $1,500 for every recommendation thereafter.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: All of the company’s installations are conducted by an in-house team at Blue Raven.
- Solar Equipment Brands Offered: Blue Raven’s commitment to keeping prices down means it doesn’t offer premium brands like SunPower and Tesla, but customers can choose from high-quality manufacturers like Silfab, Q Cells, and Trina.
- Partnerships: Blue Raven partners with GivePower to bring clean water to areas in need through solar-powered desalination techniques.
Our list continues with another giant of the solar industry, Momentum Solar. The company was established in New Jersey in 2009 and quickly expanded to operate in several states across the country, including Florida. Momentum Solar sets itself apart from the average solar company by providing outstanding customer service, offering competitive prices, and backing its products with an excellent warranty.
For more details, read our full review of Momentum Solar.
Pros & Cons
- Excellent customer service
- Solid warranty on all products
- Handles local permits
- Not the best selection of products
Momentum Solar Cost, Warranty, & Services
Momentum Solar is not the cheapest solar company around nor does it carry the widest selection of brands and services. However, if you’re looking for a highly personalized experience from an all-in-one solar company, Momentum deserves your attention.
- Average Cost: Momentum Solar’s prices are in line with the Florida average.
- Warranty: Momentum Solar offers an excellent 25-year warranty covering parts and labor on all its products.
- Solar Services: The company’s service options are somewhat lacking. Momentum installs solar panels and solar battery backups, but you won’t find any advanced options for EV charging or solar monitoring.
- Financing Options: Momentum Solar offers several flexible financing options, including solar loans, solar leases, and PPAs. Customers can also pay for their panels outright in cash.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: Momentum Solar has a convenient Momentum Family Referral program that makes it easy to get rewards for referring friends and family members. The company’s website doesn’t offer specific details but customers can inquire about the program during their free quote consultation.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: All of the company’s installations are conducted by an in-house team of skilled technicians and installers.
- Solar Equipment Brands Offered: Momentum Solar reports that it uses Tier 1 solar equipment for all its solar panels, choosing not to disclose specific brands in the name of flexibility. The company uses Enphase brand Encharge storage systems and Enphase microinverters.
- Partnerships: Momentum Solar is partnered with Enphase for its microinverter and battery storage solutions and employs NABCEP-certified installers.
Solar Source is a local Florida solar provider that’s one of the few solar energy companies anywhere in the world that can say it’s been in business longer than SunPower. The company was founded in 1984 and has spent the intervening decades bringing high-quality renewable energy to Florida residents. The company has completed more than 60,000 solar projects throughout Florida and neighboring states in the southeast.
Pros & Cons
- 38 years in the solar business
- Regional expertise
- Great equipment selection
- Not available everywhere in Florida
- No EV chargers
Solar Source Cost, Warranty, & Services
Solar Source is an affordable solar company that offers several unique services particularly suited for Florida residents. The company has skilled technicians who are familiar with local solar panel systems, making Solar Source a great choice for Florida homeowners.
- Average Cost: Solar Source is an average-priced solar company.
- Warranty: Unfortunately, Solar Source’s warranties are not as robust as other companies. The warranty varies depending on what brand you get but is between 10 and 25 years for most equipment.
- Solar Services: Solar Source offers an impressive array of services, including photovoltaic (PV) panels and battery backups, solar pool heating, in-home solar hot water, and Tesla solar roofing.
- Financing Options: Solar Source boasts more than two dozen financing options, including options with $0 down for qualified customers. The company’s solar loans have lock-in rates that are lower than the amount you’ll save on your energy bills, so you can pay off your panels while saving money.
- In-House or Contracted Installations: Solar Source is an end-to-end solar company, and its installations are performed by an in-house team of well-trained technicians.
- Solar Equipment Brands Offered: Variety is one of Solar Source’s strengths. The company carries high-quality equipment from industry-leading brands, including SolarEdge, SMA, Panasonic, LG, Enphase, Tesla, and Canadian Solar.
- Partnerships: Solar Source is certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP). The company has also been accredited by the BBB since 1997 and is a member of the Florida Solar Energy Industries Association.
SunVena is a Florida-based solar company that specializes in designing and installing solar power systems for residents of Central Florida. The company services Orlando, Daytona Beach, Tampa, Winter Haven, and other Central Florida cities, although its website instructs potential customers to contact the company even if they don’t live in one of the listed service areas. SunVena is a bit more expensive than some of its competition, but the additional cost gives you access to the company’s expert technicians and extensive local knowledge.
Pros & Cons
- Experts on Florida solar policy
- Solid warranty coverage
- Dedicated to solar energy education
- Limited — but flexible — coverage area
- Above-average cost
SunVena Cost, Warranty, & Services
SunVena is the perfect choice for any Florida homeowner looking for a simple solar installer that can navigate Florida’s policies and handle the entire solar installation process from start to finish. If that sounds like something you want — and you don’t mind paying for it — SunVena is an excellent option.
- Average Cost: SunVena’s solar energy systems are more expensive than other Florida solar companies. The tradeoff is warranted for some due to how easy SunVena makes the process, although more affordable systems are available from similar companies.
- Warranty: SunVena has an outstanding warranty that protects your system’s equipment, guarantees performance, and covers labor for 25 years.
- Solar Services: SunVena installs solar panels and battery backups and provides 24/7 solar monitoring services.
- Financing Options: SunVena offers its customers several financing options that make investing in solar energy more affordable. The company’s options include $0 down financing, low rates, and same-as-cash options in several terms from 5 to 25 years.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: SunVena currently offers $500 for the first two customers you recommend who purchase a solar system from the company. From your third renewal onward, SunVena offers perks like free solar service for six months. The referral program is handled through an easy-to-use app.
- Solar Equipment Brands Offered: One of the advantages of going solar with SunVena is the access you get to many leading brands. The company carries solar equipment from top manufacturers like Silfab, LG, SolarEdge, SMA, Tesla, and Enphase. The company offers Enphase Encharge battery backups.
Solar Bear is a family-owned solar business founded in St. Petersburg in 2015. Despite its relative youth, Solar Bear has become one of the most well-respected solar companies in Florida. The company services the entire Sunshine State, from Miami to Jacksonville and Tampa to Pensacola. The company offers good prices and a solid warranty, especially for a local company.
Pros & Cons
- Family-owned local business
- Extensive knowledge of local policies
- Good prices and selection
- Outstanding warranty coverage
- Hasn’t been around long
- Relatively small service area
Solar Bear Cost, Warranty, & Services
If you’re looking for a locally-owned and operated solar company, Solar Bear should be near the top of your list. The company offers competitive prices and a decent selection of services and its team of experts can help you navigate Florida’s solar policies more easily than a national company.
- Average Cost: Solar Bear’s costs are average to below average by Florida standards.
- Warranty: Solar Bear offers product, labor, and performance warranties for 25 years, which is outstanding. It also sets itself apart from the competition by providing 25 years of roof leak protection as well, which comes with a guarantee that you’ll never experience roof leaks. This is hugely important in an area like Florida, where the average annual rainfall is well above the national average.
- Solar Services: Solar Bear offers standard solar panel and batter installation, along with geothermal heat pumps, and solar heat pumps. The company also offers professional roofing services.
- Financing Options: The company’s financing is provided by EnerBank and Sunlight Financial and can accommodate most customers’ needs. Financing specifics are handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Specials or Incentives Offered: Solar Bear handles all of its solar projects in-house, including installation.
- Solar Equipment Brands Offered: Solar Bear carries equipment from leading solar manufacturers like SolarEdge, LG, Trinasolar, Panasonic, and Silfab Solar.
- Partnerships: Solar Bear is accredited by the BBB and is certified by NABCEP. The company recently announced a partnership with local music distribution company Jamvana.
Final Verdict: The Best Solar Energy Company in Florida
Floridians are spoiled for choice when it comes to solar companies. In our opinion, SunPower is the best overall solar company in Florida, providing outstanding service and high-quality solar panels backed by an extremely solid warranty. The only downside to choosing SunPower is the price, which is well above the average price for solar energy in Florida.
If you prefer to go with a regional company instead of a national one, consider Solar Source. The company has been around longer than SunPower and has extensive experience installing solar systems throughout the southeastern United States. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t serve the entire state, so you’ll have to schedule a consultation to make sure they work in your area.
Other Solar Companies in Florida
Factors to Consider When Choosing The Best Solar Company in Florida
Choosing a solar provider is a big decision. If you’re still not sure which Florida solar company is the right choice for you, check out this helpful list of generic tips. Finding the right company is all about making priorities and choosing a company with the least number of tradeoffs for your needs.
Cost of Services & Installation
The number one concern most Florida residents have about going solar is the cost. There’s no way to sugarcoat it: solar systems are expensive. The upfront cost of most solar systems is enough to make even the most enthusiastic environmentalist reconsider switching to solar power, but there is good news. Most solar providers have excellent financing options these days, and customers can take advantage of federal and state tax credits to make footing the bill for solar panels much easier.
Some companies — most notably Blue Raven Solar — focus on offering affordable solar solutions with excellent financing options, making it easier to invest in solar than most people realize. If you think you can’t afford to install rooftop solar on your home, take a serious look at Blue Raven and similar companies. While they don’t offer as many bells and whistles as other companies, budget-friendly solar companies do exist.
Equipment and Damages Warranty
Florida gets some gnarly weather between seasonal hurricanes and violent thunderstorms, not to mention the occasional tornado. Not all solar warranties cover damage to solar panels, but many do. Make sure you understand your solar warranty’s terms before you sign the contract; the last thing you want is to be stuck with an outlandish repair bill for your brand-new solar system.
Most companies also offer workmanship warranties, and some offer protection for your roof if anything happens to it during installation. Don’t gloss over the warranty during your consultation and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Solar Services Offered
If you’re only interested in a basic solar panel setup, you can choose almost any company. However, if you want a more advanced system with a battery backup, EV charger, or detailed solar monitoring, your options become more limited. Make sure you’re happy with the services a company offers before committing. Most companies will offer a free assessment during a consultation and can walk you through what services and options they offer.
Financing is the best way to invest in solar energy for people who can’t afford to purchase panels upfront. Solar loans have come a long way in recent years, with most companies offering at least basic financing options. Blue Raven’s BluePower Plus+ financing program is the best in the business and offers customers tons of ways to pay off their solar investments.
Some companies also offer solar leases and PPAs, although these have fallen out of favor as more people realize that choosing these options limits their lifetime savings since they don’t own their panels.
Do They Contract Installation?
These days, most solar companies perform their own in-house installations, but that wasn’t always the case. Dealing with an independent installation company can be a real headache, so make sure you understand who will be installing your solar panels before you sign any contracts. SunPower is one of the few major solar providers that still contracts out some of its installations, and Tesla is infamous in the industry for contracting all of its installations out to local companies.
Brands of Solar Equipment Offered
As solar technology evolves, the differences between brands become smaller. However, some manufacturers like Maxeon — SunPower’s in-house panel manufacturer — and Tesla still have a leg up on the competition. If you want the highest quality solar panels with the best efficiency ratings, you’re pretty much limited to SunPower and Tesla. The good news is that other major brands like Panasonic and LG are closing the gap and offering performance that’s nearly as good at a more affordable price.
If you want a battery backup, you have three main choices: Tesla Powerwall, Enphase Encharge, and LG Chem. These three options are the industry standards and are used by the vast majority of both local and national solar companies.
The final components you need to know about are inverters. Inverters take the DC current your solar panels produce and convert it to AC current you can use to power your home. Enphase is the gold standard brand for solar inverters.
Average Online Rating and Customer Reviews
You should take time to read as many reviews as you can from as many different sources as possible before you make your decision. Online solar reviews give you information that you can’t get from anywhere else and expose the harsh reality of what it’s like to be a customer of a given brand. Some companies look good on paper but fail to uphold their promises once the ink dries. Be wary of any companies that don’t have any reviews, as that may be a sign of trouble.
In general, industry partnerships and certifications are a good sign that a company is important to the solar industry as a whole. Companies with many partnerships are healthier than those that work alone, and a company that has relationships is less likely to go out of business, leaving you in a difficult spot.
Size of Company
One final note is that a company’s size dramatically affects the customer experience. Large solar companies can’t afford to give their customers the same level of attention that a local business can. The tradeoff is that big solar companies are usually more affordable and often have more services and products to choose from. There is no right answer; which you should choose depends on your energy needs, priorities, and financial situation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are solar panels worth it in Florida?
Florida is one of the best states for solar panels. After all, it’s not called the Sunshine State for nothing! Florida gets a whopping 237 days of sunshine per year on average, making solar energy an excellent investment throughout the entire state. Florida’s low latitude is ideal for generating the most energy possible due to the intense, direct sunlight available across the state.
Florida also has several utility companies that offer net metering, including Tampa Electric Company (TECO), Duke Energy, and Florida Power & Light (FPL). These programs make it easy for Floridians to reduce their utility bills and save money.
Is there a solar tax credit in Florida?
Yes. Florida residents are eligible for the federal income tax credit (ITC) and can also take advantage of the state’s Solar and CHP sales tax exemptions. The state-level programs will save you about 6% on taxes, making it easier for more people to invest in solar energy.
Can you sell energy back to the grid in FL?
Yes. Several Florida utility providers partake in net metering, including TECO, Duke Energy, and FPL. All investor-owned utilities (IOUs) are required to offer net metering to customers in Florida.
What is the lifespan of solar panels in Florida?
Solar panels in Florida can last up to 40 years if they’re well-cared-for, but the average lifespan is between 20 and 30 years. Residents of coastal regions can expect their systems to have shorter lives overall due to wear and tear from storms and corrosion and damage from the moist, salty air.
Who is the more affordable solar company in Florida?
Blue Raven Solar is the most affordable solar company in Florida. It also has one of the best financing programs in the industry, making it even easier for Florida residents to invest in their future. If you’re only looking for a basic solar panel installation, Blue Raven is a great choice. If you need more advanced features like battery backups and EV charging capabilities, consider another affordable company like Solar Source.
Why is solar unpopular in Florida?
Solar power used to be unpopular in Florida due to a lack of state rebates and solar incentives and legal difficulties negotiating third-party purchasing agreements. However, the state currently has a statewide tax credit that helps offset the cost of solar somewhat, and residents are also eligible for the federal ITC.
With all that said, Florida still produces more solar energy than most states, ranking 4th overall in solar production according to Choose Energy. One caveat is that most of Florida’s solar energy production comes from commercial installations, with residential rooftop solar making up a smaller fraction than it does in other leading states like California and Arizona. We expect this gap to narrow over time as more people discover how residential solar systems can help them save money on their electric bills.
Today's Homeowner’s Solar Companies Rating Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, transparency and trust are our most important values for the reader. That’s why we took the time to create an objective rating system and score each solar energy company/service according to our methodology.
Our research team dug deep into the fine print of contracts, combed through more than one hundred customer reviews, and thoroughly investigated all of each solar energy company’s services, costs, and products. We’ve done the homework for you by researching nearly all of the solar energy companies on the market so you can have the information you need to make the best choice for your home.
We developed a formula to objectively determine the best solar energy companies and give each a score out of 100 based on the following criteria:
Plan Options (30): Do they provide a variety of plan options? We looked at the number of plans each solar energy company offered and the flexibility of adjusting the plan.
Services offered (20): How many services are offered in each plan? We looked at whether the company manufactures its own solar panels, whether it contracts out installation, and what additional products each company offers.
Trust (10): What do customers say after their solar panels are installed? Does this company offer a guarantee? We considered how satisfied customers are post-service if the company does what it says it will, BBB accreditation, and service guarantees.
Prices (10): How reasonable are the costs of the plan or service in comparison to the industry average? We compared the costs of each company to competitors that offer the same solar energy services.
Unique perks (10): Does the company offer discounts or special services such as financial incentives, rebates, or a useful mobile app? We looked for extras each company offers that set them apart from the competition.
Customer Service (10): How is the customer experience when contacting the company? We considered the speed of response, weekend/holiday availability, and ease of communication through phone calls, email, and online chat functions.
Nationwide availability (10): How many states does the company offer its services? Companies that operate nationally and in all zip codes are favored over those with limited availability.