People spend 90 percent of their time indoors during the winter season, so tackling the chores on this checklist ensures healthy air and water quality throughout this period.
The 4 Seasons of Home Ownership is a curated collection of how-to videos, articles and tips to keep your home running smoothly throughout the year.
This winter checklist (which is applicable for seasonal chores from late December through late March) also focuses on making sure you and your home are prepared in case of severe winter weather.
Here are 10 things you must do during the winter season. That’s why we pushed them to the top of our checklist.
- Change heating system filters.
- Clean kitchen range hood filter.
- Clean all baseboard heaters.
- Change water and icemaker filters on the refrigerator.
- Thoroughly clean, oil and prepare snowblower for winter.
- Gather tools and supplies for removing ice from walkways and driveways.
- Inspect the washing machine hoses for leaks or damage. Replace, if necessary.
- Insulate exposed water lines and hose bibs.
- Set ceiling fans to rotate clockwise to circulate warm air.
- Prepare portable or standby generators.
If time and budget allow, add these things to your checklist for the winter season.
Think of these as nice-to-have items that, if accomplished, will keep everyone in your home happy.
Finally, if you’re feeling ambitious, here are a few more things you can add to your winter season to-do list. They will keep your home in great shape and ready for the holidays next year.