Our 4 Seasons of Homeownership checklists help people stay on top of home maintenance throughout the year.
The spring list — which our friends at The Home Depot helped compile — is packed with manageable tasks to help your home run effectively and efficiently.
Listen to this special-edition Today’s Homeowner Podcast to learn all about it!
- [skipto time=1:58][1:58][/skipto] Servicing A/C and heating systems
- [skipto time=2:57][2:57][/skipto] Cleaning gutters and downspouts
- [skipto time=4:04][4:04][/skipto] Cleaning and lubricating windows
- [skipto time=6:24][6:24][/skipto] Clearing lint from the dryer exhaust pipe
- [skipto time=7:00][7:00][/skipto] Lubricating door locks
- [skipto time=9:28][9:28][/skipto] Garden tool maintenance
- [skipto time=10:08][10:08][/skipto] Preparing flower beds
- [skipto time=10:54][10:54][/skipto] Adjusting ceiling fans
- [skipto time=12:16][12:16][/skipto] Pressure washing
- [skipto time=12:57][12:57][/skipto] Adding insulation
- [skipto time=13:36][13:36][/skipto] Organizing closets and decluttering
- [skipto time=14:05][14:05][/skipto] Dusting lampshades and ceiling fans
- [skipto time=14:27][14:27][/skipto] Renting an aerator for your yard
- [skipto time=16:00][16:00][/skipto] The importance of flipping your mattress
- [skipto time=16:45][16:45][/skipto] Inspecting your mailbox
- [skipto time=17:20][17:20][/skipto] Taking care of your indoor plants
- [skipto time=18:07][18:07][/skipto] Testing your sump pump
1. Service Heating and Cooling System
Twice a year, have a professional service your heating and cooling system. It’ll cost around $60 to $100. You can also help — clear leaves and debris around the outdoor A/C condenser unit. Problems can occur if debris piles up against the vents.
2. Clean Gutters and Downspouts
Gutters and downspouts flow rain from your roof and away from your foundation. If your gutters have gaps, buy and apply gutter sealant. Then remove debris from the roof and look for other damage while you work on your gutters and downspouts. Using a cordless leaf blower makes clearing debris fast and easy.
3. Clean Window Screens
Vacuum window screens every year and clean them every other year. Then scrub both sides of the screen and the frame. Dirt and dust collect on screens, affecting indoor air quality.
4. Clear Lint from Dryer
Cleaning lint from your clothes dryer exhaust pipe keeps your dryer functioning properly. Lint building up in the exhaust pipe can prevent moisture from escaping, causing your clothes to take significantly longer to dry. Using a lint brush to clean the exhaust pipe is a fast and easy job and will also save you money on your energy bill.
5. Lubricate Door Locks
Lubricate your home’s door locks, hinges and gates. For locks, use graphite. Spray lubricant attracts dust, making it difficult to slide keys in and out. But you can use spray lubricant on garage doors and gate hinges.