When to Use Faced or Unfaced Insulation

One of your best investment dollars is spent on upgrading your insulation, but make sure you’re using the right kind. Insulation in rolls, called batts, comes in two varieties: faced and unfaced.

Faced, or the type with paper, is typically used in first-time applications, such as in walls, ceilings, floors, and in crawl spaces. Any time you use a faced insulation, the paper needs to be facing toward the living space. So in an attic the paper faces downward and in a crawl space, it faces upward.

Unfaced insulation—the type without paper—is what you would use if you are adding insulation to your attic or to place between floors when living space is above and below. Unfaced is also your best choice for adding soundproofing to interior walls.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here