Ready to start using your fireplace, but concerned that it’s not safe to do so? There are a few things you can do to prepare.
Anne Thornton, founder and president of MSI Plumbing and Remodeling, says it’s best to have the fireplace inspected by a certified chimney inspector. That’s the first thing.
Then, choose gray, seasoned hard wood for building the fire. And if a professional suggests adding a liner? It’s a big expense, so get a second opinion!
Whether you want more information about preparing your fireplace for cold weather, what to do when you’ve replaced hollow-core doors with ones that don’t shut, or solutions if your home doesn’t heat evenly, we can help.
Listen to this episode of the Today’s Homeowner Radio Show for more advice!
- [0:00] Danny and Joe share stories about working in cold weather
- [4:11] Tips for sealing a crawlspace for a home on piers
- [8:26] Tips for newly installed doors that don’t close all the way
- [15:53] How long should the Christmas tree should stay up? The guys weigh in
- [17:51] To caulk or not to caulk after installing windows
- [22:12] Danny shares plans for an old cedar tree on his property
- [28:24] Best New Product: Custom Building Products’ SimpleMat
- [29:32] Straight from the Pro, featuring Anne Thornton, founder and president of MSI Plumbing & Remodeling
- [40:52] What to do about uneven heating in your home
- [56:18] “Is there such a thing as an insulated dryer vent tube?”
- [1:02:16] Tips to prevent pots in fountains from rusting
- [1:09:59] How to remove Torginol from plaster walls
- [1:15:20] How to preserve a paver walkway and driveway
- [1:22:30] Checking In With Chelsea: Chelsea builds an acrylic coffee table
- [1:33:28] Tips for repairing a water-damaged subfloor
- [1:43:05] Simple Solution: How to use a pool noodle to fill a water bucket
Best New Product
|SimpleMat from Custom Building Products makes installing a backsplash easier than ever. Learn more>>|
Other Products and Links Mentioned
- Abatron Wood Restoration Kit
- Checking In With Chelsea
- Home Depot
- RedGard from Custom Building Products