Here are some of the highlights from the July 26, 2014, Today’s Homeowner with Danny Lipford radio show.
Concrete Slab Expansion Joint Formula
When pouring a concrete slab, it’s important to put expansion joints at regular intervals to allow the concrete to expand and contract due to changes in temperature without cracking.
To calculate where to put expansion joints, multiply the thickness of the slab by 2.5 to find the spacing of the joints in feet.
For example if you’re pouring a 4″ thick concrete slab, you would put expansion joints every 10 feet:
4 x 2.5 = 10′
Great Giveaway of the Week
This week some lucky listener will win a Wet & Forget Prize Package that includes:
- 1 gallon of Wet & Forget Outdoor: Wet & Forget Outdoor is the easiest way to eliminate outdoor mold, mildew, moss, lichen, and algae. Wet & Forget Outdoor requires no scrubbing, no rinsing and no pressure washing. Simply apply to any exterior surface and let Wet & Forget Outdoor do the work for you! Wet & Forget Outdoor goes to work with the wind and rain to gently eliminate unsightly growths over time. Wet & Forget Outdoor is non-caustic, non-acidic, and contains no bleach. Therefore, it can be used on any outdoor surface without fading or damaging the surface. Even the most delicate surfaces, such as historical monuments and outdoor fabrics, can be treated with Wet & Forget! To remove tough stains, just spray and walk away!
- 1½ gallons of Wet & Forget Shower: Wet & Forget Shower no-scrub weekly shower spray takes the work out of cleaning your shower. Simply spray Wet & Forget Shower once a week to clean and prevent the build-up of soap scum, grime, oils, mold, and mildew stains. No more scrubbing, no more having to spray every day—like with other spray-on shower cleaners—and no more harsh chemical odors. After you spray Wet & Forget Shower, instead of an eye-stinging cloud of bleach or ammonia odors, you will be left with a sparkling clean shower and a bathroom that smells like it’s just been kissed by a soothing vanilla breeze.
- Wet & Forget cap
To be eligible for this week’s Great Giveaway, call the Today’s Homeowner Hotline at 800-946-4420 or go to Ask Questions on our website and ask your home improvement question.
Questions Answered on This Week’s Show
- How to remove spilled sanding sealer from unfinished wood.
- Removing old floor adhesive from a concrete slab.
- How to get rid of potato bugs (Jerusalem crickets) in yard.
- Problem with electric hot water heater shutting itself off.
- How to attach plastic laminate countertop to use as workbench.
- Replacing a rotten arbor that’s covered with roses.
- How to extend a PVC roof vent pipe higher.
- Do installing a wood floor and metal ceiling make good DIY projects.
- How to cover fireplace brick with concrete.
- Where to purchase polymer sand to use with pavers.
- How to prevent erosion around trees in yard on steep slope.
- Problem with allergy symptoms in house.
- How to get rid of mosquitoes in yard.
- Formula for placing expansion joints in concrete.
- How to cut tile without renting a wet saw.
- Repairing a hole in wall and rehanging curtain rod.
- How to paint vinyl shutters.
- Installing a pet door in a brick wall.
- How to remove and replace tile around a fireplace.
- Using roof paint on a concrete garage floor.
- How to glue composite decking to bricks for a walkway.
- Is R-21 cellulose insulation or R-30 fiberglass better.