Here are some of the highlights from the October 10, 2009, Homefront with Danny Lipford radio show.
Guests on This Week’s Show
Our Straight from the Pros segment featured home theater expert, Brad Sundberg, talking about some of the options available for a home media room. For more information, check out our article on DIY Home Theater Installation.
Richard Bitner spoke about some of the often overlooked areas of the home when it comes to providing a safe atmosphere for senior citizens.
Hollywood and Broadway legend, Carol Channing, was a special guest on the show. Carol recently released a new CD of gospel tunes entitled, “For Heaven’s Sake” and helped one local California church raise money for a new roof. She’s also active in bringing the arts to school children. You can learn more about her efforts at ChanningARTS.
Dealing with Pests in Your Home
This week we shared tips about how to keep unwanted pests out of your home as cooler weather sets in:
- Start by surveying the outside of your home for places pests might enter. Caulk any small gaps or holes, and repair large ones or cover with sheet metal.
- Trim shrubs and trees away from the walls of your home.
- Check where pipes, wires, or air conditioning lines enter your home. Caulk small gaps and block larger ones using sheet metal or steel wool.
- Fill weep holes in bricks with metal screen wire to help keep pests out.
- Examine eaves, gables, and the roof for entry points for rats or squirrels, and seal or repair any gaps or holes.
- Caulk or replace weather stripping on gaps and cracks on the inside of your house as well, especially around doors and windows.
- Seal cracks and crevices in food storage areas. Store sweets—including sugar, cereals and syrup—in sealed containers.
- Examine holes for plumbing pipes in cabinets under kitchen and bathroom sinks. Fill small gaps with caulking and larger ones with a sheet metal flange cut to fit tightly around the pipe.
- Since insects and other pests need a source of water, fix leaky pipes and eliminate other sources of water.
Questions Answered on This Week’s Show:
If you missed this show, be sure to listen online for answers to questions from many of our listeners, including:
- Problems installing tile directly onto a wood subfloor.
- Water seeping up into a basement.
- Contractor liability when a leaking roof causes a damaged ceiling.
- Placing deck boards on joists at 24”centers.
- Dealing with chipping, peeling and alligatoring paint.
- Removing a dark stain from an antique.
- Eliminating musty smelling cabinets.