Here are some of the highlights from the August 11, 2012, Homefront with Danny Lipford radio show.
Danny and Allen discussed organization tips for attics and basements, including:
- Use metal shelving, since temperature extremes and moisture can cause wood to warp.
- Store items in clear plastic bins. They stack neatly and uniformly, plus easy to see what is inside.
- Hang items on rods between rafters in an attic, using garment bags to protect seasonal clothing.
- Visually inspect items every three months, since knowing where items are stored makes them easy to retrieve.
- Label all boxes and contains, even clear plastic ones.
- Avoid using cardboard boxes, since they can warp, become damaged, and deteriorate over time.
- Put down a plastic moisture barrier on basement floors prior to storage to prevent possible water damage.
- Arrange boxes to allow for easy access of items. Adding flooring in attics can help.
Questions Answered on This Week’s Show
- Are the walls on a concrete block house usually insulated.
- How to patch a textured popcorn ceiling. (see answer)
- Installing soffit vents and a solar powered vent fan in an attic.
- How to install a tubular skylight at a 45° angle.
- Attaching carpeting to tack strips.
- How to stop squeaks in a hardwood floor from above.
- Exposing a hardwood floor covered in carpet without refinishing.
- How to remove wax buildup from a hardwood floor.
- Reducing highway noise inside of a house.
- How to repair termite damage to floor joists.
- Are photovoltaic solar panels affected by solar storms.
- How to remove black floor adhesive from a concrete slab.
- Preparing a wood floor for ceramic tile.
- Hanging objects from a plaster ceiling.
- How to unclog a stopped up bathtub drain. (see answer)
- Are hairline cracks in ceramic floor tile serious.
- How to confine roof valley rain runoff to gutters.
- Installing a French drain in your yard. (see answer)
- How to stain between boards on a deck.
- Problem with rusted out tray under air conditioner.