Pressure washers are great for cleaning outdoor surfaces, but holding the wand too close to wood and other surfaces can damage the material. To prevent this from happening, make this simple roller guide from PVC pipe and casters to keep the pressure washer wand the proper distance away.
To make a pressure washer wand guide:
- Cut a piece of 1/2″ PVC pipe to length (approximately 16”).
- Heat the pipe a few inches from one end and bend it slightly.
- Rip the pipe on the bent end down the middle with a hacksaw.
- Drill a hole through the pipe at the other end.
- Bolt two 1½” diameter casters on either side of the pipe.
- Attach the wand to the bent end with two stainless steel pipe clamps.
- Slide the wand in the guide until it’s the desired distance from the surface.
- Tighten the clamps to hold the wand fixed in place.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Tips for Cleaning Your Home with a Pressure Washer (video)
- Using a Pressure Washer to Clean Your House (video)
- How to Spring Clean the Outside of Your Home (article)
Joe Truini: If you don’t have a pressure washer, you have to go out and get one of these machines. They’re great for cleaning any outdoor surface. The problem though is you can damage the surface if you hold the nozzle too tight, because the water comes out of here at extremely high pressure.
So, here’s a way to avoid that. Make a simple little guide. This is just a piece of half-inch PVC that I cut, bent a little bit with heating it with a cigarette lighter. Then I trimmed off the pipe with a hacksaw at this very slight angle. And on the other end, I bolted on a couple of one-and-half-inch diameter casters.
Now with a couple of stainless steel pipe clamps, just hold it right to the wand itself—the spray wand of the pressure washer. And what’s nice about this is it allows you to hold it and set it exactly where you need it.
So, you just slide it a little closer, a little further away; and now you don’t have to hold up the wand. You just roll it on the casters, and you know you’re always at the exact right distance from the surface.
I want to build a pressure washer wand to clean my 2 story house and gutters