National Home Expert Danny Lipford offers his top proven strategies for homeowners to keep their homes cool and cut their energy bills up to 30%. All of the items on Danny’s list can be implemented for under $50, and several cost nothing. “Working with remodeling projects for over 36 years, I know how much families can spend – and save on their energy bill based on the efficiency of their home. We all like to save money, so I want to pass along my best practices to help homeowners grab every dollar they can and put it back in their pockets.”
Danny’s zero-cost strategies for summer energy savings
- Close curtains and blinds to keep solar heat out.
- Cook wisely – using an outdoor grill or slow cooker to prepare meals will reduce the amount of heat and humidity indoors.
- Turn off and unplug electronics when not in use. Plugged in gadgets use energy and emit heat.
- Use ceiling fans in a counterclockwise direction to pull down and circulate cool air.
- Place a bowl of ice water in front of a fan to blow cool air. *Caution – keep moisture away from the fan motor and cord to prevent a fire or electrical hazard.
- Save chores for off-peak hours. The dishwasher, washer and dryer emit heat and humidity – using them in the evening hours keeps the home cooler and saves energy.
Energy savings tips for under $50
- Inspect all windows and doors for cracks and gaps. Seal with weather stripping and caulk to ensure that cool air stays in and hot air stays out.
- Install window film on single pane windows.
- Replace air filters regularly (every 1-3 months). Using the high efficiency filters, though initially more costly, will greatly improve cooling system efficiency.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs (which emit heat) with cool CFL or LED bulbs.
- Install a programmable thermostat to regulate temperatures.
- Install an insulated cover in the attic over dropdown stairs.
About Danny Lipford
Danny is one of the most respected and sought-after names in the home improvement industry today. For over 25 years, Danny has offered homeowners credible, step-by-step advice through his various media platforms including his nationally syndicated, Emmy-nominated TV show Today’s Homeowner with Danny Lipford, his Today’s Homeowner radio show, destination website, and active social channels.
Danny has made more than 160 national television appearances on shows such as Rachael Ray, LIVE with Regis & Kelly, CNN’s Your Bottom Line, CBS’s The Early Show and This Morning, Fox Business Channel’s The Willis Report, and numerous other shows. Lipford has been the home improvement expert for The Weather Channel for over a decade, a longtime contributor to Better Homes & Gardens Magazine and BHG.com, and is a source for hundreds of other popular magazines and websites each year.
Today’s Homeowner Media
Stephanie Greenwood, Public Relations Manager
Office: (251) 478-3345 x110 Mobile: (251) 401-7535