6. Gardening Tool Maintenance
Sharpening your gardening tools with a file takes a couple of minutes and makes them work more effectively. Afterward, adjust the tire on your wheelbarrow and check the air.
7. Preparing Flower Beds
Start preparing your flower beds and plants when the weather is consistently 50 degrees. Bees and other pollinators overwinter in the dead plant materials. Additionally, test your soil. Test kits, available at The Home Depot, let you know which amendment is necessary for your plants to thrive.
8. Adjusting Ceiling Fans
Set ceiling fans to spin counterclockwise. A switch on the fan sends air down, making you feel cool. Otherwise, the fan sends hot air around the sides of a room to make you feel warmer.
9. If Time and Budget Allow…
Have the time and money to take on more tasks? Here are a few options:
- Pressure wash decks and siding. The prices of pressure washers have come down over the years, making them more practical, but rentals are still available.
- As the weather gets warmer, add insulation to your attic. You should always have about 14 to 16 inches of insulation.
- Rent an aerator from the Home Depot Rental Center. This device punctures your grass to allow nutrients to enter and fertilize.
10. A Little Something Extra
Still need more to do? Here are some extra home maintenance tasks.
- Flip mattresses for a fresher, cleaner place to sleep.
- Inspect mailbox posts for rot and make repairs if necessary.
- Clean indoor plants‘ pots and re-pot if necessary — this will help increase the life of your indoor plants.
Products and Links Mentioned
- Home Depot
- Gutter sealant
- Cordless leaf blower
- White lithium grease spray
- Soil test kits
- Home Depot Rental Center