Draining your water heater removes any sediment in the bottom of the tank. Here’s how to go about it:
- Turn off the gas or electricity to the water heater.
- Close the cold water supply valve coming into the water heater.
- Attach a garden hose to the drain at the bottom of the tank.
- Run the hose outside on the ground.
- Open the drain valve on the tank.
- Release the pressure relief valve on top of the tank.
- Allow the water in the tank to drain out.
- Once the tank has drained, open the cold water supply valve for a few minutes to flush out any sediment.
- Close the drain valve and pressure relief valve.
- Remove the hose from the drain valve.
- Allow the tank to fill.
- Turn the power back on or relight the pilot light.
Watch the video above to find out more.