Plumbing emergencies can arise when you least expect them. You might go to take a shower and find no water, or just cold water. Or the toilet may overflow with dirty water. Leaking kitchen pipes could cause a mess.
The good news? You can fix these minor plumbing issues!
Common Plumbing Issues
You won’t know when, and you won’t know how, but you can expect these plumbing issues at some point:
1. Clogged drains: The drains for showers and bathroom sinks may often clog due to hair or soap buildup. Clearing the clog may require the use of a plunger or other professional instruments. Read: How to Unclog a Tub Drain
2. Dripping faucets: A leaking faucet can raise your water bill fast — all those drips add up! Read: How to Repair a Leaky Faucet
3. Constantly Running Toilet: Your toilet should flush when you press the handle, but what if the water keeps running long after that? Well, you have a constantly running toilet. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to fix it! Read: How to Fix a Running Toilet
4. Slow-draining sink: A blockage restricts the smooth flow of water through your kitchen sink. But you may not have to call a plumber to fix it. Read: How to Unclog a Sink Drain Fast
5. Pipe leaks: Left ignored for too long, leaking pipes can cause the loss of lots of water and cause major spikes in your water bills. Read: How to Repair a Leaking Buried Pipe
6. Water heater problems: Have you noticed your water becomes too hot or not hot enough? Are there weird banging and gurgling noises inside the water heater? First, identify the source of the trouble. Read: How to Maintain a Water Heater
When Doing It Yourself…
Follow these tips when you plan to do plumbing work by yourself:
1. Before you attempt a plumbing repair, turn off the main water supply.
2. Make sure that you have everything you need for the procedure before you start repairs.
3. Dress accordingly. Plumbing is messy; you will get dirty and wet in the process. Wear personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, gloves, and a mask, as needed.
4. Keep the phone number of an emergency plumber service handy in case anything goes wrong or you can’t fix the issue.