Moving is a stressful experience, period. Especially if your upcoming move is to include specialty service requests, a large number of items, a cross-country journey, or all of the above, you’re sure to be in for a somewhat trying planning phase. That’s where JK Moving Services can help. This nationwide provider has been in the business for four decades and has assisted more than half a million clients across the United States and beyond. With fully customizable service packages, regularly-trained moving crews, and financing options for all move bills, JK is one of your better options for any moving need. In this review, you’ll learn more about:
- JK’s expansive range and services
- How much your move with JK Moving Services should cost
- What former customers thought of their JK moves
Our Preferred Moving Companies
Today’s Homeowner recommends several movers to our readers. Below you’ll see our latest suggestions and their unique superlatives.
You can also explore our review of some top-notch moving companies to find your top choice.
Our JK Moving Services Review
When Chuck Kuhn founded JK Moving Services, he did so intending to provide cutting-edge moving services, along with quality customer care and full-time moving crews. As one of the largest and best moving companies in the United States, it has more than accomplished this end.
Now headquartered in Sterling, Virginia, JK’s range of moving services can compete with the offerings other van lines bring, and its range is comparable to that of any other mover in the industry. Customers report ease of booking, whether virtual via the mobile app or in-person, and routinely compliment JK’s trained and professional moving crews.
The common thread in negative reviews seems to be JK’s local partners in some locations. As with any moving broker, service quality will vary from place to place. If you’re located in a more remote area, away from JK’s immediate operating area on the East Coast, you should inquire about the local partners near you who could be assigned to your move.
JK’s most significant single selling point is the ease it allows clients to book. You’ll be treated to an in-person quote if you’re near enough to its headquarters in Virginia or its smaller hubs in Maryland or Washington, DC. In more remote locations, you’ll be afforded the option of an AI-assisted video estimate.
Rates for JK reflect industry averages, with a two-bedroom, 500-mile move averaging $3,000 – $6,000. This average cost encompasses relocations with diverse service needs. Unfortunately, JK doesn’t have sample pricing or a quick quote tool on its website. This, and the customization options all clients enjoy, make average rates difficult to come by.
Schedule your quote with JK to get your rate today.
JK’s diverse add-ons provide clients with plenty of options for service. The most common added fees are the result of the following:
- Storage services: Within JK’s immediate service area, clients are afforded access to storage facilities with 24/7 video surveillance and climate-controlled units. Rates at these facilities can fluctuate, so you should contact them for rates.
- Packing: Full-service packing can inflate moving costs by a wide margin. That said, the highly-trained professionals at JK are instructed in safe packing practices to ensure the well-being of your goods. If your move includes fragile or antique goods, then this add-on could be well worth it.
- Valuation coverage: JK provides industry-standard released liability coverage for damaged or lost goods. This rate of $0.60 per pound per item is included in your move cost. Beyond that, valuation options are available at a minimum coverage rate of $6 per pound in declared value. The coverage options they provide, along with this mover’s tiered deductibles for varied rates of coverage, are outlined here. For a $90,000 policy, at a $250 deductible, you’d be in line to pay $630 extra on your move bill.
What Services Does JK Offer?
JK Moving Services’ offerings are typical among other large full-service moving companies. With each option below — local, long-distance, and international — you’ll be able to customize your moving experience with add-ons, including storage services, packing and unpacking, and far more. All basic moving packages with JK will include the following:
- Loading and unloading
- Basic furniture protection
- Released liability coverage
- Stable rates based on hourly charges (local) or distance and shipping weight (long-distance)
- 24/7 customer service
All other services will cost extra, including:
- Storage services
- Special moving requests (pianos, pool tables, vehicles, etc.)
- Packing services
- Custom crating
- Long carries or extra flights of stairs
JK Moving Services provides local moving assistance to Washington, D.C., Virginia, and Maryland. This being its original service area, JK is able to provide highly personalized, quality assistance via its trained crews.
JK offers all clients long-distance and interstate moving assistance throughout the contiguous U.S. states. It also services moves in Hawaii and Alaska, but you should call and speak to a customer service representative regarding this. Long-distance costs and associated quotes are calculated by using a combination of shipping weight and move distance. For this reason, pricing may not be totally locked in until your moving truck has been weighed in after loading.
JK provides international moving assistance via its global network of associated carriers. This network spans 170 other countries and includes freight forwarding and logistics management services. It’s global licensing and affiliations for such assistance include the following:
- OMNI: JK is a leading Overseas Moving Network International member and one of the top U.S.-based companies within this network.
- FIDI: This mover is one of 31 U.S.-based International Federation of International Movers members. This membership grants them access to 500 other affiliates around the globe.
- IAM: The International Association of Movers is the industry’s largest global trade network. With JK as a governing member, it has immediate access to locations and carriers in any location you can name.
If you’re planning a local or long-distance move within Washington, D.C., Virginia, or Maryland, then JK can provide immediate service. The moving crews, comprised of 1,000+ well-trained and background-checked workers, are primed to provide any moving service you could need. Beyond this immediate area, you’ll have your move brokered out to a local partner. Most of these partner companies provide excellent service but are still worth your time to look into before booking.
For international moving services, JK can reach 170 other countries worldwide. Regardless of your exact needs as a moving client, this provider can offer you accurate quotes and easy booking in any location. Contact them today to schedule your estimate.
JK Moving Services is an easy mover to reach. Simply go to www.jkmoving.com and call their phone number or fill out a contact form to schedule your own no-obligation quote. You should look to line up your own quotes with this mover — and any others you consider — around six weeks prior to your planned moving date. Once you have multiple estimates in hand, you’ll be able to make an informed decision.
Booking your move a month ahead of time will help you avoid many of the pitfalls associated with last-minute booking and numerous other stressors moving can bring about. With JK, you’ll be asked to put down a deposit of $250 upon booking, which is far more reasonable than deposit fees for many other similar movers. Be sure to obtain hard copies of your moving contract and estimate at this point. Whether you book with JK or not, there are a few factors you should be sure of before signing your contract. They include:
- Proper Registration: Interstate movers have to carry federal registration via the FMCSA. This requires them to also maintain active USDOT and MC numbers. Aside from that, active state-level registration for a given mover’s state of origin is always positive. Be sure to request proof of this during the quote process.
- Proper Insurance: All movers have to carry workers’ compensation coverage and released liability coverage. The former protects you in case a mover is injured while handling your goods, while the latter provides for some reimbursement if your goods are lost or damaged. The $0.60 per pound per item can be supplemented with valuation coverage at an added cost from most movers.
- Positive Reviews: Looking through past customer reviews should ideally come prior to getting quotes from any mover. Positive feedback from multiple sources is indicative of the quality and should not be ignored.
- Adequate Service Profile: Make a list of all add-ons, such as packing services or storage needs. Discuss these with your move coordinator during your estimate to ensure that your mover can handle your exact relocation.
JK Moving Services Reviews From Actual Customers
Looking through customer reviews is absolutely essential if your goal is a stress-free move. It’s relatively easy for any moving company to make a positive impression with a sleek website design or a cheery demeanor during a moving quote. However, customer reviews will tell all about a mover’s long-term practices and treatment of goods and clients.
Before you book with any mover — long-distance or local — you should look into reviews from social media, Google, Yelp, and BBB. Better Business Bureau accreditation and overall rating (more independent of reviews) can be indicative of a quality mover. BBB has more stringent requirements for high ratings than individual customers.
JK Moving Services’ selling point is its customizable service packages. With them, clients are able to entirely craft their moving experiences from the ground up. Selecting services on an a la carte basis allows customers to exercise the greatest control over their move.
Clients’ most common complaint when going to a moving broker for their relocation needs is spotty or impersonal customer support. The most general critique of such providers is the lack of customer care after clients get a quote. JK is no different in this regard.
Today’s Homeowner Rating Methodology
At Today’s Homeowner, our primary goals are to be a reliable source of information and to be totally transparent to our readers. With that in mind, we’ve developed the following formula to render objective ratings – on a scale of 10 points – for the moving companies we review.
- Transparency (3.0): Communication and being fully straightforward regarding company policies and licensing are incredibly important. A given mover’s willingness to display these, to supply quick quotes, and to provide clearly-worded moving contracts all factor into the three points within this single rating criteria.
- Cost (2.5): A mover’s cost relative to industry averages, as well as accessibility to cost data play a role in the customer experience as much as anything else. We know that being sure of what you’re paying – and being confident that you’re not overpaying – will ultimately make for a positive move. We’ve weighted cost factors accordingly in our ratings.
- Customer Service (2.0): Establishing an easy line of contact with your movers during the booking process or during the move itself is a huge asset for any moving client. The stress of moving, in general, can be greatly eased by knowing you can talk to a licensed professional whenever you need to, which is why we’ve listed this as a key rating category. This is where customer reviews come into play; since the majority of complaints stem from poor customer service, feedback from BBB, Yelp, Google, and other review platforms factor into this criteria.
- Services Offered (1.5): This rates lower on our priority list than many would think, simply due to the fact that many movers provide a similar line of services. However, breadth of service offerings does still vary to a degree.
- Customization Options (1.0): Having the autonomy to fully customize your move should rate highly on any moving checklist. Here, we’ve taken moving package customization ability, as well as pricing for more involved add-ons. Steep pricing for such services can provide something of a soft barrier for clients looking to add to their move, and we’ve taken this into consideration.