College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving was founded by a couple of college students in 2005. They owned a single truck and began handling small moves and local junk removal jobs. In just two years, they began expanding into independent franchises throughout the U.S. and Canada and started establishing themselves as a nationwide provider. This mover strives to provide qualified and friendly team members, up-front pricing, and quality service to all who book with them. If this mover’s services interest you, read on to learn more about the following:
- College Hunks’ moving and junk removal services
- What past customers thought of their College Hunks experience
- How much you should expect to pay for a move or the removal of unwanted items
Our College Hunks Review
College Hunks Hauling Junk has evolved since its founding in 2005. Now serving as a full-service moving company as well as a junk removal service, CHHJ is a nationally-known provider with some of the best workers you’ll be able to find.
All moving companies are going to have their share of poor reviews. Especially when a given mover has expanded to have a nationwide presence (with limited exposure in Canada), there isn’t an effective way to ensure uniform quality across all branches. However, College Hunks have minimized the variance that most moving companies experience in this area.
We highly recommend looking into reviews for a given location before you book. Still, College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving is one of the better options available for both junk removal and smaller local moves. The attention to detail and breadth of service they provide to most clients places them among the best in the business.
Pros & Cons of College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving
- Next-day service available
- More than 150 locations throughout the U.S.
- Partners with charities
- Each location has its own pricing, service offerings, and availability
- Limited moving service offerings relative to other moving companies
How Much Does College Hunks Cost?
College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving advertises up-front pricing for all moves and cleanout services it provides. However, as independent franchises each control their moving costs, it isn’t easy to pin down average rates for larger jobs.
That said, this mover’s pricing model is pretty typical. All local moves and labor assistance are priced at hourly rates. Expect to pay between $35 and $45 per mover for labor-only assistance. On average, two movers and a truck will cost anywhere from $110 to $140 per hour. For either option, you’ll be charged a two to four-hour minimum, which is standard across the moving industry.
Long-distance moving costs are a bit tougher to nail down. CHHJ is primarily a local mover when it does handle residential moves but does provide service for clients crossing state lines or moving out of town. You’ll have to get a quote from your local branch to be sure of your rates. Here, we’ve included some average full-service moving costs to give you an idea of what you can expect when hiring College Hunks for your move.
|1 BR||2 BR||3 BR||4 BR|
Junk and waste removal are slightly different as far as pricing goes. These jobs are priced by volume rather than by strict labor rates. Some locations offer single-item pricing, while others will have a simple minimum charge for a certain amount of space taken up within a truck. On average, you should expect to spend between $150 and $800, depending on how much you need to be removed.
You’ll be required to pay a deposit for any junk removal or moving service. Depending on your location, this will be a fixed amount or a set percentage of your service estimate.
What Services Does CHHJ Offer?
College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving was founded primarily as a junk removal company that also serviced small moving needs. Now, it has grown far beyond its roots as a small startup and is a nationwide provider of the services you see here:
Different states have different parameters for defining a local move, but most draw the line at 50 miles. Moves within this radius are billed at hourly rates. CHHJ is one of the best options for smaller relocations. They offer customized packing and labor assistance to each client who books with them and can provide specialized services for senior citizens and college students.
CHHJ can also provide excellent long-distance moving help. Throughout your move with them, you’ll be afforded a single point of contact, well-trained and courteous movers, and dedicated service until your household goods are delivered. All long-distance moves with College Hunks are eligible for valuation coverage at an added cost and a full range of basic and add-on services.
Commercial relocations are complicated and require specialized service and care. CHHJ offers a range of office moving services that compete with those provided by major van lines. When you book an office move with this provider, you’ll have access to the following:
- Specialized packing services
- Assembly and disassembly of office furniture
- Sensitive equipment and document transportation
Junk removal and donation pickups are the College Hunks’ bread and butter. This mover began as a junk removal professional, and it is still a leader in that space. CHHJ strives to donate as much as possible from every junk removal job to ensure that usable pieces of furniture have a chance at a second home. Some items they can remove include:
- Assorted furniture
- Mattresses and box springs
- Glass & aluminum
- Hot tubs
- Construction debris
- And more
College Hunks has you covered if you’re planning a DIY move and just need a little help with loading or unloading your U-Haul or rental truck. The professionals at this mover can render excellent service for the following:
- Full-service and partial packing
- Loading and unloading help for storage units and rental trucks
- Furniture moving
- Light demolition
- Home staging
- And more
Service Area & Availability
College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving has more than 150 locations throughout 38 states and Canada (Alberta and Ontario). Though you should be afforded similar care in most locations, service profile and pricing can vary. Book your move with CHHJ in any of the following states:
| || || |
How To Schedule With College Hunks Hauling Junk and Moving
The booking process with this provider begins when you get a quote on their website at collegehunkshaulingjunk.com. You’ll be given the option to choose between junk removal services, moving, or labor-only services before filling in some basic information for your work order.
Since CHHJ primarily handles local moves rather than longer relocations, the presence of binding estimates may vary between franchise locations. You’ll always want to obtain copies of estimates and contracts once you’ve committed to your move. After collecting a small refundable deposit, you’ll be set up for your CHHJ move.
Here are a few of the qualifications you should check on for any moving company before booking:
- FMCSA Registration: Federal registration with this body is needed for any mover conducting interstate or long-distance relocations. Along with this, movers must carry USDOT and MC numbers, which should be displayed on all vehicles and company documents. You can also use these to look up any mover’s complaint history and registration status through this link.
- State Registration: Movers must be registered within the state they primarily do business in. Since CHHJ affiliates are independently franchised, this applies to them as well. Many states have their own governing bodies for movers, which control tariffs and regulate insurance registration. Some will have no requirements aside from basic business licensing.
- Service Profile: Bring a list of services you may need to any estimate you receive. This will help you to determine whether any given mover can assist you.
- Workers’ Compensation: This insurance policy protects you in case a mover is injured during your move. All movers are required to carry this and should be able to present proof of it when asked.
- Released Liability Coverage: This provides the industry minimum amount of reimbursement for lost or damaged items, at $0.60 per pound, per item. This coverage comes included with the cost of your move and can be supplemented with valuation coverage from most providers.
You should ask for proof of the above registrations and coverages during the quote process.
Whether you plan on booking with College Hunks or not, you should begin planning any move around eight weeks ahead of your move date. No matter the service provider you choose, this is the amount of time it will take to properly plan and execute a stress-free move.
Conduct a full survey of your home and draw up an inventory list to guide your packing over the coming weeks. At the six-week mark, you should be fielding moving quotes from different providers in your area. If you book by the four-week mark, you should be set up for a successful move.
CHHJ Reviews From Actual Customers
CHHJ has positive customer reviews across many of its locations, but the importance of checking these for any local agent or affiliate that you book with is still a must. Reviews from multiple sources, including Google, Yelp, Better Business Bureau, and social media, are needed for you to form a complete picture of how a mover treats clients and adheres to given quotes.
Brian’s move in the Washington D.C. area went according to plan and was done at a lower rate than the competition could provide:
“I used College Hunks for a furniture move. After researching numerous moving services and receiving price quotes, College Hunks had the best rate I could find, saving me hundreds of dollars from competitors. Before engaging them, I had a slight concern you might get what you pay for, but that was not the case. They have a good system in place from beginning to end with regard to setting expectations, communication, notifications, alerts, and billing. In other words, they did exactly what they said they would do and did it well. The driver/movers were professional, friendly, seemed well-trained, and represented the company well. I would use them again and recommend them to others looking for moving services.”
John B. left a glowing review for a commercial relocation with College Hunks Moving:
“I’m so pleased with their service I will post for each of the 3 services I used.
I had to pack, move and haul our D.C. office with about 2 days’ notice. I was given really reasonable estimates by their estimator. He definitely prepared for the worst case.
The team for packing arrived at the time they said they would and Andy S., Raschad C., and Frenell JZ did a great job of packing. They stayed on task, consulted me when they had questions, and did the job on the low end of the estimate.
I was happy to use them in the next stage of my move…
Pro tip- Take pictures and share what you want to be done for a good estimate!
OK, Yelp won’t let me write 3 separate reviews… I left another for the move but I’ll put the third day of hauling I will put here as well.
These guys totally had my back. Andy S., David B., and Anthony Mitchell all worked hard getting what should have been 3 trucks of hauling into 2. With heroic effort, they broke down tables (after asking if it was OK) and took everything away except the kitchen sink, and that’s because I asked that it stay. 5 honest well-deserved stars!”
Rod’s donation pickup was unfortunately marred by miscommunication between the booking agents and moving crew, leading to this:
“Haulers were professional & efficient. The main reason for hiring was that usable items would be donated to charity for reuse. I assumed all intact pieces would be re-distributed. No, I saw most pieces thrown into the trash bin section of the truck, whole or broken apart. I verified with haulers on arrival that items would be donated; in a follow-up phone call, I was told that the haulers know items that local charities don’t accept and trash the rest. If I had known… I could have put the items out for local trash pickup and saved a chunk of the $750 (includes tip) charge, which I thought worth it as long as it included recycling.”
On the positive side, moving clients report that the HUNKS live up to the promises of quality that its name provides. This is evidenced in the final review above. Even when moves or junk removal jobs go poorly, the workers themselves are typically not to blame.
Many of CHHJ’s poor reviews stem from pricing disputes. This theme is prevalent in negative customer experiences across the industry and is often an unfortunate consequence of large movers who book many jobs daily.
Another common dispute between clients and CHHJ are discrepancies between the work that was agreed upon during estimates versus the work that moving crews are told to carry out by their managing office. While same-day pricing and work order changes are sure to have a negative effect on your move, you can guard against this by getting copies of your quote and move contract before moving day.
Frequently Asked Questions About College Hunks
What does HUNKS stand for?
HUNKS is an acronym that sums up CHHJ’s desired customer service footprint and policy. It stands for Honest Uniformed Nice Knowledgeable Service. If reviews are to be believed, then this moving and junk removal company has more than lived up to this.
Is tipping required?
No. Tipping is never required, whether you’re dealing with hourly labor help or conducting a full-service move. That said, moving is an incredibly personal service. If you feel that your movers have gone above and beyond to render excellent service, then you should consider tipping. The typical rule of thumb for tipping is $5 per hour per mover for same-day moves and $40-$50 per mover per day for multi-day jobs.
How are junk hauling jobs priced?
Junk removal is usually priced by volume. Some movers offer special rates for single pieces of furniture being removed from a home, but most will charge by space used within their trucks, i.e., 1/8th of a truck, 1/4th of a truck, and so on.
Do weekend moves cost more?
They won’t necessarily cost more, but these dates are more highly sought-after by moving clients. This means that advance booking may be necessary for you to move on your desired date. Again, booking your move at least a month ahead of schedule is advised for any relocation or moving need.
Can I hire labor services to unload a storage unit or moving truck?
Yes. You can hire laborers from most moving companies to assist with a variety of tasks. This can include packing a few fragile items, loading a truck, or unpacking once you reach your new home. Most companies will charge minimum fees, however. You should be aware of this if you need helpers to move a couple of furniture items.
Today's Homeowner Rating Methodology
At Today's Homeowner, our primary goals are to be a reliable source of information and to be totally transparent to our readers. With that in mind, we’ve developed the following formula to render objective ratings – on a scale of 10 points – for the moving companies we review.
- Transparency (3.0): Communication and being fully straightforward regarding company policies and licensing are incredibly important. A given mover’s willingness to display these, to supply quick quotes, and to provide clearly-worded moving contracts all factor into the three points within this single rating criteria.
- Cost (2.5): A mover’s cost relative to industry averages, as well as accessibility to cost data play a role in the customer experience as much as anything else. We know that being sure of what you’re paying – and being confident that you’re not overpaying – will ultimately make for a positive move. We’ve weighted cost factors accordingly in our ratings.
- Customer Service (2.0): Establishing an easy line of contact with your movers during the booking process or during the move itself is a huge asset for any moving client. The stress of moving, in general, can be greatly eased by knowing you can talk to a licensed professional whenever you need to, which is why we’ve listed this as a key rating category. This is where customer reviews come into play; since the majority of complaints stem from poor customer service, feedback from BBB, Yelp, Google, and other review platforms factor into this criteria.
- Services Offered (1.5): This rates lower on our priority list than many would think, simply due to the fact that many movers provide a similar line of services. However, breadth of service offerings does still vary to a degree.
- Customization Options (1.0): Having the autonomy to fully customize your move should rate highly on any moving checklist. Here, we’ve taken moving package customization ability, as well as pricing for more involved add-ons. Steep pricing for such services can provide something of a soft barrier for clients looking to add to their move, and we’ve taken this into consideration.