Custom moldings can enhance the décor of a house and give a unique look, but they’re usually too expensive for the average homeowner’s budget. But by combining several separate pieces of stock molding together, you can create the look of custom molding at a fraction of the cost.
To enhance the look of crown molding in a room, combine two pieces of standard baseboard with a stock crown molding. Here’s how it’s done:
- Pop chalk lines on the walls and ceiling to act as guides for spacing the moldings.
- Align one piece of baseboard with the chalk lines on the ceiling, and attach it to the ceiling joists using nails.
- Align the second piece of baseboard with the chalk lines on the walls, and attach it to the wall studs with nails.
- Miter and cope the pieces of crown molding, and attach them to the baseboard using nails.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Tips for Cutting Molding (article)
- How to Install Crown Molding the Easy Way (video)