Check out these innovative new switches and timers that are easy to install to bring the lighting in your home into the 21st century:
- Timer Switch: This 7 button timer switch from Pass & Seymour replaces a regular wall switch and allows you to set the lights to turn off at preset intervals of 1, 5, 10, 20, 30, or 60 minutes simply by pushing a button.
- Room Occupancy Sensor: Turn your lights on and off automatically with this occupancy sensor switch from Leviton anytime you enter a dark room in your house.
- Wireless Wall Switch: Want to add a switch without running wires? This wireless wall switch from Westek comes with a receiver that plugs into an outlet and a battery powered switch that mounts on the wall.
- Photovoltaic Floodlight Controller: Turn your outdoor flood lights on and off with the sun simply by simply screwing this dusk to dawn floodlight controller from Westek into an existing outdoor light fixture.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Automated Lighting Systems for Your Home (video)
- How to Install an Outdoor Security Light (video)
- Save Energy with Dimmer Switches and Motion Sensors (video)
- How to Install a Programmable Timer Switch (article)
Allen Lyle: Honestly, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like some sort of practical technology in their home. But if you’re a do-it-yourselfer and terms like Romex pigtails, junction box, and massive surge give you the heebie jeebies, don’t tackle electrical jobs. Hire a professional to do it for you. Now, that being said, I got to tell you, there’s some pretty cool stuff on the market.
Anytime you tackle an electrical job, two rules that I follow, always. Number one, find the breaker that operates whatever you’re working on, kill it. Even though I’ve done this as many years as I have been working on electrical, I always take a meter and make sure there’s no juice going to it.
Okay, let’s talk switches – easy to replace. But if you’re gonna replace one, why not go high tech. Check this out. Okay, how many times have you heard this? “Time to go to bed.” “Oh, Mom, five more minutes.” Okay, you walk into their room. Click! Hit the five-minute button. It’s a timer. You replace the switch with a timer. It goes off automatically. I love this thing – easy to do.
Here’s another great one. This is an occupancy sensor. Basically, I’ve got a 180 degree motion detector on this thing. I don’t even have to look for the light switch. I walk in the room, it comes on. Again, easy to install.
Okay, I understand electricity still bothers a lot of people out there. How about this? A remote-controlled, wireless, you don’t even have to wire anything. Plug in your television, small electronics, appliances, lights to this module. Automatic, it’s working, you just put this on the wall and you’ve got a switch to it.
Want something even simpler? You want those exterior lights to come on at dusk? Go off at dawn? All you’ve got to do is screw this module into the light socket, the light bulb into the module and you’re done.
Comments are closed.