Watch the previous or next video in our series of tips for your yard.
To keep your lawn mower running efficiently, it’s important to perform the following four maintenance procedures every year in the spring at the beginning of the mowing season:
- Replace the spark plug.
- Clean or replace the air filter.
- Drain and change the oil.
- Sharpen or replace the blade
Every time you finish cutting the grass, let your lawn mower cool down, then disconnect the spark plug wire, and:
- Check the air filter (clean or replace if needed).
- Check the blade (sharpen or replace if needed).
- Clean under the mower with a garden hose (reduces fuel by 20%).
After performing this regular maintenance, reconnect the spark plug wire and your lawn mower will be ready for the next cutting. Watch this video to find out more.
- Lawn Mower Maintenance (article/video)
- How to Change a Lawn Mower Spark Plug (article)
- How to Change a Lawn Mower Air Filter (article)
- How to Choose the Right Lawn Mower for Your Yard (video)
- Lawn Mowing Techniques for Your Yard (video)
Lawn mower maintenance is pretty basic. At the beginning of every cutting season there are definitely four things you absolutely must do: replace the spark plug, replace the air filter, change the oil, and either replace or sharpen the blade.
Nothing creates an unhealthy lawn as much as a dull blade. Shreds the grass, allows disease to get in there. You don’t want to do that. So every month you want to check that.
Every time you mow – no matter what – when you are finished, allow the lawnmower to cool down completely, disconnect the spark plug, check the air filter make sure it is clean. If you have to get a new one, do so.
But then you also want to check the underside of the deck. Clean it with a garden hose, spray it down very well because – believe it or not – particularly if you have a mulching blade like this, having the underside of that deck filthy can use up to 20% more fuel. And with today’s gasoline prices, every penny counts.
Why doesn’t my lawn tractor run at low idle? 14.5 hp Briggs & Stratton.
How do you clean under the lawn mower deck without mixing the gas and oil when tilting the mower?
Should you ru all of gas out of mower stores for winter