While fences are the most common method of keeping a dog from roaming, another option is to install an electronic containment system in your yard.
These systems are easier and less expensive to install than a fence, though they require a bit of training to teach the dog to recognize the invisible barrier and avoid being shocked.
DIY kits allow you to install an electronic containment system in your yard.
- Dig a 3- or 4-inch-deep trench around the area’s perimeter.
- Place the wire in the trench.
- Fill the trench with dirt.
- Attach the buried wire to the transmitter.
- Place flags along the wire boundary to act as a reminder to the dog during training.
- Put the battery-powered, wireless collar on the dog.
- Lead the dog near the wire until the collar emits an audible warning chirp. When the dog ventures closer to the wire, the collar gives a mild shock.
Watch this video to find out more.