How to Clean a Foam Air Filter
If your mower has a foam filter, you don’t have to replace it unless it’s torn or won’t come clean. Follow the above instructions to remove the filter from the mower, then:
- Wash Foam Air Filter: Wash the foam air filter thoroughly using mild dish soap and water. Avoid using detergents – they’ll leave slippery residues that are nearly impossible to rinse out.
- Dry Foam Air Filter: Squeeze any excess water out of the foam air filter, then dry it further by blotting the foam air filter with a clean rag or paper towels, until no more water comes out.
- Oil Foam Air Filter: Before completing this step, check the owner’s manual for your lawn mower, since some newer models have non-oiled filters. To oil the filter, apply a spoonful of engine oil to the foam, and work the foam between your fingers to distribute the oil. Blot the foam air filter with a paper towel or rag to remove any excess oil – it just needs to be very lightly coated, not soaked. To keep your hands clean, you can drop the filter and a little oil down inside a plastic zip-top bag and work it in through the plastic.
- Reattach Foam Air Filter: Put the foam air filter back in the compartment in the mower, and screw the cover back on.
- How to Change a Lawn Mower Spark Plug (article)
- Lawn Mower Maintenance (article/video)
wow was that easy thank you
The mower in the picture looks just like mine… I am trying to find a filter for it with no luck. Mine is a 2005 and the filter is about 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 and maybe 1 1/2 tall. I can not find the serial number, I think we changed the top with the pully because the string kept breaking. If this is the same mower what part numner do I need ?
The yardman is the same mower I have. Thats the filter I need where can I get one? Checked Lowes. Home Depot. And canadian tire. Also repair clinic.com doesn’t recognize my model number. Cause its Canadian. Can you help me out? Thanks.
Can you tell me the part number of that blue filter you pulled out of that yardman mower?
I too have been everywhere looking for this filter. Anyone???