All the old plaster and wood lath have been removed from the Kuppersmith Project house, exposing some construction techniques that may have been common in 1926 but are no longer practiced today.
For example, the top of the floor joists in the bathroom were hewed to a triangular point with an axe, and the space between the joists filled with concrete to act as the subfloor under the tile flooring. Today, a tile subfloor would consist of a plywood subfloor, topped by cement backer board.
The Kuppersmith carpenters also literally left their mark behind in the walls when they drew details of their building plans in pencil on the studs, a practice that’s still used by carpenters today.
Watch this video to find out more.