Install Floating Shelves
Our shelf brackets are made from ordinary galvanized pipe screwed into a floor flange. While we install those on the wall, Chelsea and Beth create shelf boards from 2-by-12 lumber.
After the shelf stain dries and we put the boards in place, we install new Kichler light fixtures, mount some modern cabinet hardware and hang the cabinet doors so we can pull this kitchen back together.
Get the Look: Here are the light fixtures we purchased:
Samural Pendant Light
Linear Ceiling Light
Jason and Beth’s kitchen has tall ceilings and gets lots of natural light, but because of the dark stained woodwork and low-hanging cabinets, it felt small, dark and dated.
Plus, the heat and smell of cooking always lingered, thanks to the recirculating range hood.
Now, their kitchen has a completely different feel. Removal of those dark overhead cabinets makes the room feel twice the size it did before and the natural light that’s being shared between the rooms makes both areas brighter.
Of course, painting the cabinets a lighter shade and adding new light fixtures didn’t hurt, either. The range hood also adds light as it makes a bold visual statement and quietly removes the heat and fumes of daily cooking.
That 80’s feel is gone too, thanks to more modern cabinet hardware and the homemade floating shelves that Beth wanted.
And, at only about $1,200 for materials, we didn’t spend a fortune to freshen up this kitchen.
Other Tips from this Episode
How to Fix Split Furniture with Wood Glue
|Best New Products|
This Bathroom Faucet Makes Cleaning a Breeze
|Watch & Learn|
How to Make Easy Floating Shelves
Some projects we cover in this makeover include:
- Removing the cabinets. The kitchen cabinets block the view of the family room, so Jason and Beth have to bend down to see their kids. That’s inconvenient — and unnecessary — when we could remove the cabinets altogether. Opening up space is in style, so this is a win-win!
- Relocating the cabinet hardware. This kitchen has an unusual design choice: cabinets with knobs located at the center. This is not a standard design choice, and — more important — it’s not Jason and Beth want in their home. So we’re removing the knobs and the hinges and updating the kitchen cabinets with something more modern. And we’re positioning them near the edges of the cabinet doors, which is just how the homeowners want them.
- Painting the cabinets. Jason and Beth want their cabinets to look more modern, so we’re painting them white. Cabinets make up so much of the kitchen, so this update will have a big impact. The lighter color also happens to open up this space — a bonus!
- Installing a new range hood. The kitchen always smells like last night’s dinner because the range hood doesn’t vent to the outside; it just recirculates air through the kitchen. So we’re cutting an access hole in the roof and installing a high-performance range hood that will improve the room’s air quality.
- Installing floating shelves. We’ll boost storage, and complete this kitchen makeover, with some floating shelves. They’re stylish, modern and on-trend!
Check out the ‘Freshen Up Your Kitchen’ episode article for more information on this project!
More Kitchen Update Ideas
- 11 Ways To Update Your Kitchen On A Dime
- 18 Cheap Kitchen Updates That Look Expensive
- 15+ Quick and Easy Kitchen Updates You Can Accomplish This Weekend
Comments are closed.