Whether you’re a first time homeowner, or simply facing challenges with maintaining your home, here are some tips that can help maintain the garbage disposal in your kitchen.
To unjam a clogged garbage disposal:
- Turn off the power to the disposal at the circuit breaker.
- Locate the small hexagonal hole on the bottom of the unit.
- Insert the key that came with the garbage disposal, or an Allen wrench, into the hole.
- Rotate the key back and forth to manually turn the disposal until you release the jam.
To remove bad odors in a garbage disposal:
- Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda into the disposal, followed by a cup of white vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to foam for a minute or two.
- Pour a pot of boiling water down the drain, and let it sit for five minutes.
- Turn on the cold water while running the disposal to flush it out.
Do this once a month and odors will be a thing of the past.
This First Time Homeowner tip brought to you by Merillat cabinets – the dream kitchen for the real world.
Need to replace your disposal altogether? Read our garbage disposal cost guide to learn about how much that project will set you back.
Comments are closed.