How can I fix the pull chain on my ceiling fan that broke off inside the switch? -Brad
With most pull chain fan switches, you’ll need to replace the switch, though on some models you may be able to reattach the chain. To replace the switch, you will need to know whether it operates the fan or light. If the switch goes to the fan, you will need to know how many speeds the fan has. Here’s how to go about it:
- Start by turning off the circuit breaker to the fan.
- Next, remove the cover on the fan housing or the globe light so you can access the switch, and unscrew the nut on the outside of the switch that holds it on.
- Pull the switch out of the housing from the inside, leaving the wires attached.
- Examine the switch to see if the chain can be reattached.
- If not, carefully note the colors of the wires and the terminal each attaches to (take a picture with a digital camera or cell phone or draw a diagram of the switch).
- Detach the wires and take the switch—along with the model and make of the fan—with you to the home center for a replacement. Be sure to match the number of speeds, switch size, and wattage.
- To install the new switch if the wires attach directly to the terminals, bend each wire around the corresponding terminal in a clockwise direction, and tighten up the screws.
- If the switch has wires that attach using twist-on connectors (commonly called wire nuts), strip 1/2” to 3/4” of insulation from each wire, wrap them together in a clockwise direction, and twist the connector on in a clockwise direction so it is secure and the bare wire is covered.
- Insert the switch in the hole in the fan housing from the inside and thread the nut on the outside.
- Attach the housing cover or the globe light.
- Turn the breaker back on, and test the switch to see if it works.
Good luck with your project,