I’m using Giani Granite Countertop Paint to finish my plastic laminate countertops. One countertop looks great, but the painter used a different sponge on the second countertop, and it looks awful. Can I sand it down and prime it again to start over? -Janie
Applying a faux granite finish, like Gianni Granite Countertop Paint, is a great way to breathe new life into old plastic laminate countertops. As long as the final poly clear coat hasn’t been applied, it’s no problem to refinish over the existing finish. Here’s how to go about it:
- Lightly sand the countertop.
- Wipe the countertop down with a damp rag to remove any dust.
- Apply a new coat of the Giani black primer to the counter.
- Apply the Giani faux granite finish.
- When you’re satisfied with the look, apply the clear poly topcoat.
If you want to refinish a countertop after the clear poly topcoat has been applied, you’ll need to use a paint stripper to remove the existing Giani finish, then start over from scratch.
Good luck with your project,