Organizations around the Southeast are rallying to donate batteries, water, and other much needed items to those affected by the recent outbreak of tornadoes. However, one of the most effective ways to help is through monetary gifts to organizations that specialize in disaster relief.
Two or the most established organizations are the Salvation Army and the Red Cross. Here is how you can help.
The Salvation Army
- Visit www.salvationarmyusa.org and click on “Tornado Relief Efforts.”
- Call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769) and designate a donation for “April 2011 Tornado Outbreak.”
- Text “GIVE” to 80888 to give a $10 donation.
- Mail a check to: The Salvation Army Disaster Relief, P.O. Box 100339, Atlanta, GA 30384-0339.
The American Red Cross
- Visit www.redcross.org and click on “Donate Now.”
- call 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767).
- Text “REDCROSS” to 90999 to give a $10 donation.
- Donate Blood by visiting www.redcrossblood.org then click on “Search by Zip Code” to find out where to give blood in your area.
Our hearts go out to those who are affected by the tornadoes. One thing is for certain, it’s times like this that bring out the best in people.