I can’t find the air filter in the HVAC unit in the home we just bought. Do all central heating and cooling units have filters? -Paula
All central heating and cooling systems should have an air filter, but the filter can be harder to locate on some HVAC units than others. The air filter is usually located in the return air duct or blower compartment before the return air reaches the air handler. This allows the filter to clean the air coming from your house before it enters the HVAC unit.
Common locations for air filters in HVAC units include:
- On HVAC systems with a return in each room, there may be an air filter behind each of the return grills.
Good luck with your project,
- HVAC System Heating and Cooling Maintenance Tips (video)
- How to Choose Air Filters to Reduce Indoor Air Pollution (article)
- Choosing Air Filters for Your Home (video)
- What Is A Home Warranty?
- The Best Home Warranties For 2020