We’ve all heard the recommendation to flip your mattress to prevent uneven wear. For some types of mattresses, that piece of advice still holds true. But, what about mattresses with newer technology that don’t require flipping? Here are a few tips to extend the lifespan of your mattress, whether it’s an inner-spring, memory foam, or pillow-top model.
- Make sure your mattress is well supported with box springs or a metal or wood foundation. Since the foundation bears the majority of the stress and weight placed on the bed, check the condition of the bed frame, slats and springs periodically.
- Rotate your mattress 180 degrees every season to prevent uneven wear, dips and sags. It’s a good idea to rotate the box springs as well.
- If your mattress is the same on both sides, flip it at least twice a year.
- Vacuum your mattress regularly to remove dirt, dust and dust mites.
- Use a protective mattress pad to prevent spills from soaking through to the mattress.
- Clean stains with upholstery cleaner or liquid dishwashing detergent. Use a damp washcloth or sponge to gently blot the stain. To prevent mold and mildew, wait until the mattress is completely dry before replacing the mattress pad and bedding.
- Avoid jumping on the mattress or putting weight on the edges of the bed.