If you’re considering a home warranty for your house, you may have heard about the Home Service Club. The Home Service Club offers several different home warranty plans and can be a good fit for your needs. Like most home warranty providers, this company offers plans that cover repairs or replacements of your major home appliances and systems.
In This Article:
- The Home Service Club Overview
- Plans & Coverage
- The Home Service Club Cost
- What’s Not Covered?
- Making A Claim With The Home Service Club
- Our Verdict On The Home Service Club
- Our Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
Let’s take a look at everything this provider offers and why it may be a provider you should consider. You can call 800-750-9443 or fill out a simple form online to learn more about coverage for your home with The Home Service Club.
Our Review Process
We work diligently to find current and accurate information about all of the home warranties we review. This Home Service Club review takes into account information from the company website as well as sources such as the Better Business Bureau. We also objectively compare this home warranty company against others so you have all of the information you need to make a decision.
While we find that the company can be a worthwhile choice, we recommend American Home Shield as the best option due to their comprehensive coverage, easy to understand plans and flexibility.
The Home Service Club Overview
The Home Service Club began offering home warranties in 2008. The company is based in New York City and, according to their website, places a high level of focus on customer service and satisfaction. They have won a number of awards and national recognition for their home warranty service, though as of 2020, they are not yet accredited by the Better Business Bureau.
Homeowners in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C. can purchase a Home Service Club warranty to protect their homes. While there may be some small differences between policies from state to state, most are identical. Coverage begins after a 10-day waiting period, though there are some items that are not covered until 30 days after purchasing the home warranty. This quick coverage is uncommon for home warranties and is a point in the Home Service Club’s favor.
Plans & Coverage
The Home Service Club offers two different plans: Standard and Comprehensive.
|Freestanding ice makers||✔️||✔️|
|Built-in food centers||✔️||✔️|
|Garage door opener||✔️||✔️|
|Central vacuum system||✔️||✔️|
|Hot water pumps||✔️|
|Hot/cold water dispenser||✔️|
In addition to the two homeowner plans, this provider offers real estate home warranty plans designed specifically for those buying or selling a home.
The Home Service Club does offer a number of additional coverage add-ons. Each of these add-ons is priced separately, and you can add as many of them to your warranty as you want.
- Jetted bathtubs
- Well pumps
- Sewage ejector pump
- Water softener
- Freestanding freezer
- Sprinkler system
- Spa heater
- Additional refrigerator
- Built-in refrigerators with dual compressors
- Outside water line
- Outside gas line
- Grinder pump system
- Outside power line
- Outside sewer line
The Home Service Club Cost
The Home Service Club warranty costs depend on where you live, the size of your home, and what extra coverage you want. Our team requested a sample quote directly from the company for an address in Georgia, ZIP code 30097, and we received the following:
|Yearly premium||Monthly premium|
Note that choosing to pay the yearly premium in a lump sum, rather than monthly, includes one free month.
The Home Service Club actually offers several levels of service fees. You can select a service fee of $65, $95, or $125. However, the lower service fees do require you to pay a higher monthly premium. If you anticipate using your home warranty often, you may want to pay a slightly higher premium to get a lower service fee. However, if you have a fairly new house, you may not need to use your warranty as often and may save money in the long run by going with the higher option.
Service fees for other home warranties can run anywhere from $45 to $125. Many are around $75, making the $65 option slightly less than usual. The $125 service fee, however, is at the top of the range.
The company does have maximum payouts on their warranties. These coverage caps are typical amongst home warranty providers. If the amount of the repair or replacement is more than the maximum allowed within a 12-month period, you will have to pay the difference. For example, the Home Service Club will only pay a total of $5,000 for sprinkler system repairs every 12 months.
What’s Not Covered?
As with most home warranties, there are some things that are not covered with Home Service Club. It will not cover any damage done by weather—that’s what homeowner’s insurance is designed to handle. There are a number of other exclusions, including fireplaces and chimneys, underground piping, humidifiers, insulation and a number of other parts. It’s important to carefully read all of the exclusions outlined in the contract before buying a warranty from this provider (or any home warranty, for that matter).
Get A Quote From The Home Service Club
You can get a quote from The Home Service Club by going to their website or calling their toll-free number, 800-750-9443. You’ll need to provide the company with some basic information, including your name and address of your property.
Making A Claim With The Home Service Club
To make a claim, you can either call 800-601-1009 or go to the Home Service Club website and request service through your account. Once you’ve submitted a claim, Home Service Club will assign it to a local service provider. The provider will then contact you to arrange an appointment time.
Our Verdict On The Home Service Club
Overall, The Home Service Club does offer a comprehensive home warranty that includes a number of benefits. You can get a quote from The Home Service Club by calling 800-750-9443 or by using their online form.
Let’s break down the pros and cons of their options:
|– Standard plan covers a good number of appliances and systems|
– Wide variety of add-ons available
– Sliding scale for service fee based on premium amount
– Fast coverage with a short 10-day waiting period
|– Service fee of $125 (at cheapest premium) is above average|
– No accreditation by BBB
– Monthly price can increase dramatically with add-ons and lower service fee selection
Overall, we found that The Home Service Club options are good warranties. However, because of the high cost of the service fee and the fact that your monthly premiums can quickly increase with overall cost, we recommend American Home Shield over Home Service Club.
Our Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
American Home Shield ranks highest in our research of home warranty providers for a number of reasons. From the company’s plan variety to its coverage across 49 states, we felt it was a great choice for most consumers.
Here are a few highlights about the provider:
- Three plan options (ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, and ShieldPlatinum), which is more than many competitors
- Allows customers to choose their own service fee
- Positive customer service reviews
- A trusted brand that’s been in business since 1971
We believe that American Home Shield has something for every homeowner, and our reviews team recommends you get a customized quote for yourself.
Best for Aging Homes: Choice Home Warranty
There are a number of reasons why we also recommend Choice Home Warranty:
- The provider offers low-cost plans that cover items no matter their age, making it a great option for older houses.
- Choice Home Warranty has similar service fees ($85).
- This provider covers many of the same items that Home Service Club does, but Choice Home Warranty charges less for their standard plan.
- Choice Home Warranty is rated by the BBB, while The Home Service Club is not.
Before you decide which home warranty company to use, you should learn more about them. We recommend that you check out our reviews of the best home warranty providers and get quotes from each provider, so you can see your exact costs and what best fits your needs and budget. With this information, you’ll be able to make an informed decision.
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.