Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
As a homeowner, you have to think about protecting your investment — including the systems and appliances in your house. There are different kinds of warranties available, but they aren’t all created equal.
A manufacturer’s warranty protects you from unexpected repair and replacement costs on a newly purchased appliance. A home warranty, however, can be purchased at any time and covers multiple major appliances and systems, protecting you and your budget from breakdowns and failures caused by everyday wear and tear.
We’ve conducted extensive research to determine the best warranty options for owners of Samsung washers, looking into plans offered, cost and customer ratings. Ultimately, we think going with a traditional home warranty provider is a better option than choosing a Samsung washer warranty.
In This Article:
- Samsung Washer Warranty Overview
- Samsung Washer Warranty Cost
- How to File a Claim with Samsung
- Samsung Washer Warranty Reviews
- Our Assessment of Samsung’s Washer Warranty
- Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
Samsung Washer Warranty Overview
A Samsung washer warranty comes with every newly purchased Samsung washer. Samsung offers product warranties on washing machines, washer-dryers and tumble dryers, covering manufacturing defects in materials or workmanship from the date of purchase.
Here’s what’s included for owners of new Samsung washers:
- Coverage on all parts and labor for one year
- Coverage on control board parts for two years
- Coverage on the stainless tub part for three years
- Coverage on washing motor parts for five years
- Coverage on the washing DD motor part and silver plates for 10 years
- Lifetime stainless tub warranty
Warranty lengths vary by model. With a Samsung washer warranty, parts are repaired or replaced, or the price of purchase is reimbursed by Samsung’s in-home service, at the sole discretion of Samsung. In addition, the parts, if necessary, are replaced with Samsung products that may be new or reconditioned and the old parts must be returned to Samsung.
Samsung’s limited warranty does not cover the following:
- Damage that occurs in shipment, delivery or installation
- Damage caused by misuse, abuse or acts of nature (floods, fires)
- Damage caused by failure to operate and maintain the product according to instructions
- Damage caused by everyday wear and tear
With a Samsung washer warranty, the protection begins on the date of purchase. In order to file a claim, you must have the warranty registered with Samsung.
Samsung Extended Warranty
If you want extended coverage, you can purchase a Samsung Extended Warranty, as well as a two-year Samsung Smart Service Extended Warranty Plan. Both options still don’t cover breakdowns or failures from everyday wear and tear. The extended warranty plans are not available for all Samsung washers.
Clothes washers last an average of 14 years, depending on the type, which means your washer is built to outlast your Samsung washer warranty. One of the many benefits of a home warranty protection plan is continuous coverage — you can purchase a home warranty at any time and you can renew your contract or transfer it to a new homeowner.
Samsung Washer Warranty Cost
A Samsung washer warranty is included with the new product. However, additional protection through Samsung or a third party is a separate purchase. For example, if you buy a Samsung washer from Best Buy, you have the option of purchasing a three-year or five-year Geek Squad Protection Plan, which cost $89.99 or $134.99.
How to File a Claim with Samsung
If you have a Samsung washer warranty through the manufacturer, you must have a registered warranty to file a claim. The registration process is quick and easy online. Once you’ve registered, you can view your warranty at any time or make a claim using the Samsung account management system.
Samsung Washer Warranty Reviews
Samsung reviews are mixed across the board. There are not individual reviews of Samsung washer warranties on major sites, but the overall brand has gotten both good and bad reviews. Some customers applaud Samsung, while others take serious issue.
Samsung is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), where it has an A+ rating. Specific ratings for warranties are not available, but general reviews are mixed, and largely negative.
“ . . . I have four Samsung appliances . . . I had a cosmetic issue (over time) on the front load washer . . . Samsung fixed it – I had an ice maker issue on my refrigerator . . . Samsung fixed it – I had liquid get into my oven door . . . Samsung fixed it. At no time was it difficult to contact customer service. In fact the alternative to a phone call, the Facebook social media team, works amazingly well, too. Each time Samsung has exceeded my expectations. Needless to say . . . I am now a loyal customer of Samsung’s.”— Kathy, five stars, BBB, January 2020
“Bought a Samsung dryer that died at one year. Three repairmen couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Samsung customer service is absolutely clueless. My last dryer lasted 15 years. Samsung dryer broke at one year, two weeks. Don’t buy Samsung appliances. The company products are horribly defective, you won’t get any help, and Samsung won’t help you.”— Rolando G., one star, BBB, January 2020
Our Assessment of Samsung’s Washer Warranty
The Samsung washer warranty is worthwhile in the case of a manufacturing defect, but we think you’d be better off with a home warranty plan than a Samsung extended warranty. Especially if you want long-term wear and tear coverage, a home warranty is the way to go.
You never know when your washer will break down or malfunction. If you have a home warranty plan, then you don’t have to worry about unexpected repair or replacement costs or paying for hours of labor.
Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
More than 1.8 million customers have benefitted from American Home Shield’s home warranty plans since its founding in 1971.
American Home Shield has three plans with increasing levels of coverage. Its base plan, the ShieldSilver Plan™, covers 14 major systems, including plumbing, heating and cooling, and electrical systems. The ShieldGold Plan™ covers the systems covered by the ShieldSilver Plan™ and adds coverage for major kitchen and laundry appliances up to $3,000. The ShieldPlatinum Plan™ covers all 23 systems and appliances in the ShieldGold Plan™ and adds $1,500 of roof-leak coverage. It also increases the coverage limit on appliances to $6,000.
You also have the option of buying extra coverage for less common systems like pools or well pumps.
To cover a Samsung washer, you must choose between the ShieldGold Plan™ or the ShieldPlatinum Plan™. It would not be covered by the ShieldSilver Plan™. Comprehensive coverage ensures that if your washer, dryer, dishwasher or other appliance breaks, you don’t get stuck paying the full amount if the repair is covered.
With American Home Shield, you can rest assured knowing you’re getting top-notch quality and expertise. Some of its benefits include:
- 24/7 customer support
- More than 16,000 licensed and qualified professional contractors
- Coverage available in 49 states, all except Alaska
- Coverage for older systems and appliances
- Highly customizable plan option
- Up to 23 home systems and appliances covered
- 30-day money-back policy that includes a prorated refund
- Add-on coverage available, including an electronics plan and a guest house plan
With American Home Shield, you pay a monthly fee or an upfront payment. You also get to choose your service call fee of $75, $100 or $125. The higher the service fee, the lower your monthly payment.
With American Home Shield, your washer components and parts are covered up to $3,000 for access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement costs. You could end up saving a lot of money with a home warranty plan.
For a comparison, here’s the Samsung washer warranty vs. the American Home Shield Appliances Plan:
|Samsung Washer Warranty||American Home Shield Appliances Plan|
|Duration||One year on all parts and labor from the date of product purchase||One year with the option of renewing from the date of plan purchase|
|What’s Covered?||Manufacturing defects in materials or workmanship||Everyday wear and tear|
|Renewable?||No, but you can purchase a two-year extended warranty||Yes|
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.
Read our other guides: