A foundation is one of the most overlooked yet most important parts of a home. A foundation has to be able to efficiently carry the entire weight of a house with all its contents to the soil under it, properly secure the property in place, prevent cracking and keep groundwater from seeping in. In addition, the foundation also has to stand up to environmental conditions, such as floods, extreme wind and earthquakes.
Though Seattle features many scenic vistas, its wet weather patterns and deep, poorly drained organic soils can spell structural issues. These foundation issues can range from mold in your basement to foundation settlement. If your Seattle home has slab cracks, uneven flooring or cracks in its brickwork or concrete, you may be in need of foundation repair.
Foundation repair is a complicated and costly process, but there are plenty of companies in the Seattle area that can help. We created this detailed guide for foundation repair in Seattle to help you obtain a more clear understanding of what goes into the foundation repair process. This guide will help you in your research for the best foundation repair companies in Seattle as we compare each company’s services, financing options and average pricing.
Top Foundation Repair Companies in Seattle
- TerraFirma Foundation Systems: Best Overall in Seattle
- Ram Jack: Best for Piles Services in Seattle
- Seattle Foundation Repair: Best for Waterproofing in Seattle
- R&R Foundation Specialist, LLC: Best for Commercial Services
- Matvey Foundation Repair: Best for Real Estate Evaluations in Seattle
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
1. TerraFirma Foundation Systems: Best Overall in Seattle
TerraFirma Foundation Systems is our top pick for foundation repair services in the Seattle area. Founded in 2005 by sixth-generation Oregonian Ryan Beckly, TerraFirma understands the problems with foundations in the Pacific Northwest region. The company offers one of the most comprehensive selections of foundation repair and basement waterproofing services in Seattle. It also features a unique and useful online portal for customers to make payments through.
TerraFirma Foundation Systems Services
TerraFirma provides a large selection of foundation repair services, which are offered based on a detailed foundation evaluation it conducts for each customer. Below are some of the company’s most popular services:
- Foundation Pier Systems: The company provides pier installation services for concrete slab, crawl space and basement foundations. TerraFirma offers both helical and push piers, depending on your home’s foundation issues. For homes with steep slopes, deep sand, rocky and/or wet soil, it offers its unique grouted micropile pier.
- Basement Waterproofing: TerraFirma offers a wide range of basement waterproofing solutions if your Seattle home experiences leaks, mold or mildew. Based on one of the company’s certified technician’s assessments, solutions proposed could include sump pump installation, drainage system installation, basement dehumidifiers and window wells.
- Earthquake Retrofitting: This preventative process improves your home’s ability to act as shelter after an earthquake, as well as reduces earthquake insurance premiums and deductibles.
- Radon Gas Mitigation: Radon is an odorless gas produced by uranium decay. It is found in every state and in nearly one out of every 15 homes in the United States. TerraFirma provides mitigation services to detect and reduce the presence of radon gas in your Seattle home.
TerraFirma Foundation Systems Cost and Financing Options
TerraFirma does not provide online sample pricing. You can most likely expect the company’s services to cost around $3,307–$5,646, the average price of foundation repair in Seattle.
- Same-As-Cash Option: This option has no interest and no payments for the first 12 months. The repayment window ranges from 24 to 132 months. If paid within a year, interest can be waived.*
- Reduced Interest Loan Option: This is a five-year reduced-interest loan. This loan has 6.99% APR, and its repayment window ranges from 60 to 120 months. Payment begins 30 days after the loan closes.*
2. Ram Jack: Best for Piles Services in Seattle
Ram Jack has offered foundation repair solutions to residential and commercial customers since 1975 across the entire United States. The company’s branch in SeaTac, Washington, serves clients in Seattle. Ram Jack is an excellent option if you are in need of piling services. The company boasts a wide variety of piling options including eco-friendly driven piles.
Ram Jack Services
Ram Jack offers a comprehensive selection of foundation repair services, including commercial services. A Ram Jack-certified technician will evaluate your foundation problems and propose permanent solutions, including:
- Foundation Repair: Ram Jack offers a wide range of residential foundation solutions that include slab foundation repair, leaning chimney repair, sinkhole remediation, pier-and-beam support, timber pile support and more.
- Crawl Space Dehumidifiers: Ram Jack offers crawl space dehumidifiers to combat mold and mildew problems. These devices help circulate air, improve air quality, reduce the relative humidity to below 50% and eliminate musty odors that can seep into your home.
- Helical Pile Systems: The company offers helical pile systems to provide support to large homes or homes on more challenging terrain. This service can also be used in the creation of a new porch.
- Driven Piles Systems: For a more eco-friendly option, Ram Jack offers its corrosion-resistant driven piles system to remediate foundation settlement.
Ram Jack Cost and Financing Options
Ram Jack states on its website that its average cost for pier-and-beam repairs runs from $1,000 to $3,000 for piers that are six-to-eight feet apart. Piers that focus on a single corner or closer together can cost between $3,500 and $5,000. Your price can vary greatly depending on the extent of foundation damage and the services you opt for.
Similar to TerraFirma, Ram Jack offers financing options through EnerBank USA. Read over the company’s financing options below:
- Same-As-Cash Option: Ram Jack provides loans with a repayment window ranging from 24 to 132 months. Interest can be waived if the loan is paid off in a year. This option has no interest and no payments for the first 12 months.*
- Reduced-Interest Loan Option: Ram Jack also offers a five-year reduced interest loan. This loan has 6.99% APR, and its repayment window ranges from 60 to 120 months. Repayment begins 30 days after the loan closes. *
3. Seattle Foundation Repair: Best for Waterproofing in Seattle
Seattle Foundation Repair is a local company with more than 50 years in the construction industry. It focuses on bringing the latest technology available to help with steel push piers and helical piers, waterproofing and concrete lifting and leveling. We find the company’s waterproofing offerings— services like epoxy and urethane injection and targeted drain tile installation—particularly impressive.
Seattle Foundation Repair Services
Seattle Foundation Repair offers industry-standard foundation repair and basement waterproofing services. Here are some of the company’s popular services:
- Epoxy And Urethane Injection: The company fills holes from the inside or from the outside of your foundation using epoxy and urethane. These materials help prevent leaks, as well as boost the structural integrity of the wall.
- Drain Tile Installation: Drain tiles provide water a path to escape, thereby eliminating hydrostatic pressure leaks. This service can occur on the inside or outside of the foundation.
- Soil Nailing: Like pier installation (but horizontal), these 6-feet-deep nails help treat unstable natural soil slopes to provide a more stable infrastructure.
- Wall Plate Anchors: Sometimes just referred to as wall anchors, these devices help combat bowing walls. A wall anchor fastens a steel strap to the end of a common joist in a bowing wall to adjust it back into place.
Seattle Foundation Repair Cost and Financing Options
You should expect service with Seattle Foundation Repair ro run around $3,307–$5,646. The company partners with Enhancify to offer comprehensive financing solutions. Below are some options you can receive with approved credit through Seattle Foundation Repair:
- Payment Plan:. Some plan highlights include 0% and 5.99% APR, one- to seven-year terms, funding available within one business day and loans as high as $100,000.
4. R&R Foundation Specialist, LLC: Best for Commercial Services
Based out of Everett, Washington, R&R Foundation Specialist provides industry-standard foundation repair services. The company has working relationships with local structural engineers to provide accurate, detailed and free foundation elevations. R&R Foundation Specialist also has more comprehensive commercial solutions than other companies on this list.
R&R Foundation Specialist, LLC Services
R&R Foundation Specialist provides many industry-standard foundation repair services, but the company also provides a great focus on commercial solutions. Learn about some of its popular options here:
- Chimney Repair: The company helps fix leaning or cracked chimneys by using helical piers. Helical piers stabilize the chimney and keep the structural integrity of the home’s foundation safe.
- Foundation Raising & Leveling: Also using helical piers or steel piers, R&R Foundation specialists can remedy uneven floors and settlement. Through these pier systems, the company can help your foundation obtain stable footing from bedrock and more stable soils beneath your home.
- Structural Column Repair: As one of its commercial services, R&R Foundation Specialist provides column repair for large office buildings and other commercial structures. The company often uses carbon fiber to repair concrete columns and other structural components of large buildings. This option also increases the load capacity of the structure.
- Parking Garage Slab Reinforcement: Another commercial service from the company, parking garages that require more strength can be enhanced through R&R Foundation Specialst’s application of carbon fiber.
R&R Foundation Specialist, LLC Cost and Financing Options
The overall cost of R&R Foundation Specialist will most likely range between $3,307–$5,646 for residential services. Commercial service may be more costly depending on the size of the property. R&R Foundation Specialist partners with 1st Security Bank to provide financing options. Below are some options you can possibly receive with the company:
- Payment Plan: Through 1st Security Bank, the company will help create a construction loan with you. Based on your approved credit, you will receive a payment plan that takes into consideration your specific financial needs.
5. Matvey Foundation Repair: Best for Real Estate Evaluations in Seattle
Founded in 1997, Matvey Foundation Repair is an excellent option for a foundation repair company that helps with real estate evaluations and repairs. The company recognizes the value in saving old foundations and the structural elements of buildings. Matvey provides a user-friendly experience online through its personal blog and videos, and the company is used to walking customers through the real estate process when it comes to structural foundation evaluations.
Matvey Foundation Repair Services
The company provides a wide selection of foundation repair services for customers throughout Bellevue, Seattle, Tacoma and nearby areas. Check out some of its most popular services below:
- Foundation Settlement Repair: The company can stabilize your foundation with foundation piers. By using its pier systems, Matvey Foundation Repair can fix cracked walls and floors, tilting chimneys and jamming doors and windows.
- Mudjacking & Slabjacking: If you have sinking patios, walkways, driveways and concrete steps, then you may be able to receive mudjacking as a cost-effective solution. This service sees the company lift concrete slabs that have settled over time with a mortar-based mix that is pumped underneath the concrete.
- Crawl Space Repair: Matvey Foundation Repair offers a variety of services geared towards crawl space encapsulation and repairs. Some possible services you might receive based on your evaluation include support jacks and vapor barriers.
- Structural Real Estate Evaluations: The company provides onsite home evaluations with a structural consultant for both buyers and sellers. This service includes an exterior assessment, interior assessment, crawl space assessment, consultation, custom repair solutions and cost estimates.
Matvey Foundation Repair Cost and Financing Options
Though the company does not feature sample pricing online, Matvey Foundation Reapir’s service will most likely range between $3,307–$5,646. The company does feature a partnership with Hearth to provide financing options. Read over some major highlights for custom plans with Hearth here:
- Payment Plan: To receive financing with Matvey Foundation Repair, you enter some brief information on Hearth’s website to generate a tailored loan and payment plan. Based on your approved credit, you can receive loan amounts up to $100,000, funding within three days, no prepayment penalties and no home equity requirement.
* All loans and financing subject to credit approval
There are many foundation repair companies throughout the Seattle area, and we recommend you get quote information from multiple providers before deciding which one is right for your specific needs.
If you want the most comprehensive and all-inclusive foundation repair experience, we recommend you look into TerraFirma Foundation Systems as we named it Best Overall in Seattle. Ram Jack comes in at a close second, as it provides some of the best piles services in the region.
Compare Top Foundation Repair Companies in Seattle
|Company||TerraFirma||Ram Jack||Seattle Foundation Repair||R&R Foundation Specialist, LLC||Matvey Foundation Repair|
|Best for||Overall||Pile Systems||Waterproofing||Commercial Services||Real Estate Evaluations|
|Average Cost||$3,307–$5,646 (Seattle Average)||$1,000–$5,000||$3,307–$5,646 (Seattle Average)||$3,307–$5,646 (Seattle Average)||$3,307–$5,646 (Seattle Average)|
Average Cost of Foundation Repair in Seattle
Many different factors have an impact on the overall cost of a foundation repair project in Seattle. The average overall cost for foundation repair in Seattle ranges from $3,307 to $5,646.
The overall severity of the damage, the need for slabjacking, the need for additional materials or services and the total resale value impact your overall cost for foundation repair. Check out some of the average costs of popular foundation repair services in Seattle here:
- Pier-and-Beam Services: $4,000–$6,500
- Basement Waterproofing: $2,500–$7,000
- Concrete Crack Filling: $220–$700
- Slope/Concrete Stabilization: $3,500–$11,500
Signs of Foundation Problems
There are common, noticable signs of foundation issues across all types of homes. Here are some of the most common indicators:
- Exterior Cracks: These cracks are usually large and have a zigzag pattern. Sometimes they are called “staircase cracks” as they resemble the outline of a staircase. This is especially common on brick-and-mortar exteriors.
- Interior Sheetrock Cracks: If you notice large cracks on your drywall that line almost the entire wall, zigzag or cause wallpaper to fall off, then you are most likely having an issue with the foundation below.
- Sloping Floors: Uneven floors that slope to one side are another sign of major foundation settlement. Pay attention if the gradient of your floor is more than one or two inches every 15 feet.
- Bouncing Floors: If you notice that your floors are bouncy, then it is a sign that you might have rotten wood in your home’s foundation. This is common with crawl space foundations.
- Door Frame/Window Frame Separation From Brick: This is a severe sign that you are experiencing foundation issues. If you notice a door frame or window frame being separated from brick, seek immediate help. Doors that are out of square are another sign.
Foundation Services You May Need in Seattle
Most homes in the Seattle area have crawl space or basement foundations. Though these foundations can provide certain benefits, such as conversion to additional livable spaces, they are susceptible to issues posed by Seattle’s wet climate and poorly back-filled soil. Learn about some of the most common causes of foundation problems in Seattle here:
- Wet Weather Patterns: Seattle is known for its rainy climate. This causes soil to become soft and expand. When soil moves like this, it may cause foundation shifting and leaks in your basement. When water gets into your basement or crawl space, waterproofing services may be required due to mold and mildew growth.
- Soil: Seattle features deep, yet poorly drained organic soils. This is due to herbaceous and woody deposits in depressions in river valleys and glacial till plains near the Emerald City. This soil puts a lot of pressure on basement walls and often causes them to bow.
- Plants and Other Vegetation: Trees, bushes and other plants expand their roots in search of water. Trees can push roots against and through your foundation, and other plants will suck moisture away from the soil near the foundation, leaving it sitting in an over-dry zone. These either cause foundation settlement or possible cracking.
Foundation Repair Terminology
Foundation repair is a complicated field that features many different terms and ideas you may not be familiar with from day-to-day home maintenance. Below are some major terms you will come across as you research foundation repair companies that you need to know.
- Carbon Fiber Wall Reinforcement: This high-tech woven material is added to your bowing walls. The material becomes incredibly strong and rigid once infused with an epoxy resin.
- Crawl Space Encapsulation: This refers to when a company seals off a crawl space from moisture and excess humidity. The process will often involve an adhesive sealant to create a vapor barrier that blocks humidity from entering. The company will then line the crawl space with a plastic sheet.
- Downspout Extensions: These are extensions installed on your gutters. They allow rainwater to be moved further away from your home’s foundation.
- Drain Tile: Similar to other interior drainage systems, a drain tile is a simple drain that can be installed as a single tile on the floor. This drain allows standing water to flow into an exterior drainage system and away from your foundation.
- Epoxy And Urethane Injection: This service has a company use polyurethane in an injection process. This fills the voids underneath in an eco-friendly manner and lifts the settling foundation.
- Interior Drainage Systems: These systems often consist of floor drains that contain a channel-shaped body. It is used for the rapid evacuation of surface water to a utility line.
- Mudjacking: This refers to when concrete is raised by pumping mud or other material under it through drilled holes. It is often also called slabjacking.
- Piers: Piers are large beams that are installed vertically beneath a home’s foundation. They are typically used when settlement occurs. They are raised by using a hydraulic machine, and they position the foundation at its proper level. Popular options include push piers, which are used for smaller homes with concrete slab foundations, and helical piers, which feature a screw-like design and are used for large homes or projects.
- Pilings: These are heavy stakes or posts installed to support the foundations of a superstructure. Piers are a type of piling.
- Slab Foundation: This is a type of foundation that consists of 4”–6″ thick concrete that the home rests on. This concrete slab is often placed on a layer of sand for drainage and to act as a cushion. A home built on a slab foundation does not feature a crawl space.
- Soil Nails: These products help treat unstable natural soil slopes. Think of them as similar to piers but they are installed horizontally instead of vertically. They are often used to help create retaining walls.
- Sump Pump: A sump pump is a device installed in a home’s crawl space or basement to collect water. They are also designed and installed to redirect the water to an exterior drainage system.
- Surface Drain Installation: This service has a foundation repair company install a drain in your crawl space or basement that funnels any leaks into an exterior drainage system.
- Underpinning: This term refers to when a solid foundation is laid to support or strengthen a home’s foundation. Piers are typically used during underpinning.
- Wall Plate Anchors: Wall anchors are a popular solution for bowing walls. They require less maintenance and time than piers. A steel strap fastens to the end of a common joist in a bowing wall. They are built into the brickwork of a wall to provide lateral support.
- Window Wells: These are materials manufactured to fit over the top of an exposed basement window. It helps prevent buildup of water, snow and debris in the window well, which could cause basement flooding.
How We Chose the Top Foundation Repair Companies
Today’s Homeowner works to provide our readers with well-researched, unbiased reviews. We have created a detailed research process that uses a weighted scoring system to objectively rate each company we review. We also believe in being transparent about our process and scoring in order to back-up our conclusions. Our rating system for foundation repair is based on a 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Service Options (48): Does the company offer a comprehensive selection of foundation solutions, including waterproofing, concrete lifting, slope stabilization, leaning chimney repairs and more?
- Payment Options (10): What financing options does the company provide for its customers? Can customers receive financing options such as same-as-cash and a reduced-interest rate?
- Trustworthiness (10): Has the company garnered a solid reputation for its services? What rating does the company have on the Better Business Bureau? Does it feature accreditation from the Better Business Bureau?
- Warranty Options (20): Does the company provide a substantial warranty on its services? Does it offer a lifetime warranty or only exterior and interior underpin warranties?
- Additional benefits (12): What additional benefits can customers receive from the company, including commercial services, online blogs, online videos, an online booking process and eco-friendly options?
Foundation Repair in Seattle FAQ
What happens if you don’t fix foundation problems?
There can be many negative outcomes to not fixing foundation problems. Major ones include the development of mold and mildew, as well as complete foundation failure and walls collapsing.
Do most older homes have foundation problems?
This depends on if the owner took proper care of the home’s foundation. Most older homes have undergone some kind of foundation problem at some point, though.
Will homeowners insurance cover foundation problems?
Foundation repairs are possibly covered through homeowners insurance if it is covered in your policy.