A good foundation is a multifaceted rockstar. Not only does it anchor your home in place and help distribute the weight of your property and all of its contents evenly, but it keeps out moisture, insulates against the cold and prevents cracks in your interior walls. A bad foundation can be a symphony of woes.
Atlanta is known for its humid climate and dramatic shifts in weather. Unfortunately, this climate presents various issues for both crawl space and concrete slab foundations. Rainy weather may cause the region’s red clay soil to expand and contract, causing cracking and shifting in your home’s foundation. Good, clean gutters also play a major role in your foundation’s structural integrity.
If you notice musty odors, wet basements, wood discoloration or leaning chimneys, a damaged foundation could be to blame. We have created this guide to point you toward the top foundation repair contractors in the Atlanta area, as well as their most popular services and average cost, to give you peace of mind. Be warned, though: Whether you are dealing with wall cracks or basement waterproofing, foundation problems come with costly solutions. That’s why we’ve also factored in companies that provide good financing options and reliable warranties.
Top Foundation Repair Companies in Atlanta
- Olshan: Best Overall in Atlanta
- Ram Jack: Best for Pile Systems in Atlanta
- Engineered Solutions of Georgia: Best for Real Estate Services in Atlanta
- AquaGuard Foundation Solutions: Best for Gutters in Atlanta
- Crawlspaces and More: Best for Crawl Spaces in Atlanta
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
1. Olshan: Best Overall in Atlanta
Since 1933, Olshan has provided foundation repair services across the southeastern United States. Each of Olshan’s branches focus on the root causes of foundation issues in their service areas, such as the red clay soil found throughout Atlanta. The company also provides one of the largest selection of service options with easy financing for both homeowners and business owners.
Olshan provides comprehensive service options. Some of the company’s most popular services include:
- Foundation Repair: Olshan provides a free assessment for its foundation repair services. Olshan uses a Cable Lock™ ST Plus Hybrid Foundation Repair System. This system is a combination of concrete pilings and steel pilings. This creates a deeper and more reliable repair.
- Exterior Water Management: Georgia’s rainy weather can cause potential issues for your foundation. Olshan uses its own Olshan Drainage System to remove excess water, improve foundation performance and help prevent cracks.
- House Leveling: Olshan uses an effective Helical Pier System to dig deep into the soil and provide substantial anchoring strength to shore up sinking foundations.
- Basement Waterproofing: Olshan offers a wide selection of basement waterproofing services. Services include interior water discharge solutions, surface glue down, downspout extensions, surface drain installation and more.
Olshan Cost and Financing Options
Olshan states that its foundation services on average range between $3,000 and $7,500. We calculated that a repair for 10 feet worth of a basement for an Atlanta house with two doors would be $9,713.
Given that foundation repair is costly, Olshan offers flexible financing solutions:
- Payment Plan: Olshan works with customers to create payment plans that feature no payments and no interest for 12 months. Customers can receive rates as low as 0% and payments as low as $125 per month, subject to credit approval.
2. Ram Jack: Best for Pile Systems in Atlanta
Ram Jack has offered foundation repair solutions to residential and commercial customers since 1975. Its Marietta, Georgia, location serves clients throughout Atlanta. If you are primarily concerned about piling services, we recommend Ram Jack with its wide variety of piling options including eco-friendly driven piles.
Ram Jack Services
Ram Jack offers a comprehensive selection of foundation repair services, including commercial services and engineering resources. After a Ram Jack technician and consultant evaluate and diagnose your foundation problem, the company can propose a long-term remedy for a variety of foundation types.
Read over Ram Jack’s most popular services here:
- Foundation Repair: Similar to Olshan, Ram Jack offers a wide range of residential foundation solutions that include slab foundation repair, leaning chimney repair, sinkhole remediation, pier-and-beam support, timber pile support and more.
- Crawl space Dehumidifiers: If you are one of Atlanta’s many residents that experience mold and mildew in your crawl space, we suggest you look into Ram Jack’s crawl space dehumidifiers. These devices help circulate air and improve air quality, reduce the relative humidity to below 50% and eliminate musty odors that can seep into your home from mold and mildew.
- Retaining Wall Repair & Stabilization: Ram Jack can install its helical piles at the proper angle to help stabilize a retaining wall to fix cracking, bowing of the wall, horizontal shifting and increases in soil pressure.
- Driven Piles Systems: Ram Jack offers its corrosion-resistant and eco-friendly driven piles system to remediate foundation settlement.
Ram Jack Cost and Financing Options
Ram Jack states that the average cost for pier-and-beam repairs runs from $1,000 to $3,000 for piers that are six to eight feet apart. Piers that focus on a single corner can cost between $3,500 and $5,000. Keep in mind that your price can vary greatly depending on the extent of foundation damage and the services required for a repair.
Ram Jack offers excellent financing options for this costly process. Read about the company’s financing options here:
- Same-As-Cash Option: Through EnerBank USA, Ram Jack provides loans with approved credit with a repayment window ranging from 24 to 132 months. If paid within a year, interest can be waived. This option has no interest and no payments for the first 12 months.
- Reduced-Interest Loan Option: Also through EnerBank USA, Ram Jack offers a five-year reduced interest loan. This loan has 6.99% APR, and its repayment window ranges from 60 to 120 months. Be aware that repayment begins 30 days after the loan closes.
3. Engineered Solutions of Georgia: Best for Real Estate Services in Atlanta
If you are in the process of buying or selling a home, we recommend Engineered Solutions of Georgia. The company was founded in 2006, but it holds over 150 years of experience for foundation problems across Fulton and Cobb County. In addition to industry-standard foundation repair services, Engineered Solutions of Georgia offers services specifically tailored to real estate, such as working with a home inspection report for specific structural or waterproofing problems.
Engineered Solutions of Georgia Services
Engineered Solutions of Georgia offers a variety of foundation services including short- and long-term solutions. The company will send a foundation repair specialist to evaluate your home to determine if one of their quick services for stabilization can work if you need another, permanent solution. Check out some of its popular services below:
- Foundation Crack Repair: If you notice cracking in your home’s basement walls and floors, exterior and interior house walls, floors, doors or windows, Engineered Solutions of Georgia will evaluate your home’s foundation to determine if sand or cement injections will work for you as a quick and inexpensive fix.
- Floor Leveling: The company provides a free consultation to determine if the subflooring on your property is level and will explain the variety of solutions that can be used to level your floors. Solutions may include pier installation and or mudjacking.
- Basement Drainage: Wet basements are a common problem throughout Atlanta, and Engineered Solutions of Georgia offers a range of solutions for basement draining, including sump pumps, channel drains and footing drains.
- Real Estate Services: Engineered Solutions of Georgia will work alongside your real estate agent and home inspector to provide foundation repairs required to sell your property. Some common services it provides for real estate transactions include foundation settlement, wall failure, basement waterproofing and crawl space waterproofing.
Engineered Solutions of Georgia Cost and Financing Options
You should expect to pay anywhere between $4,000 and $5,000, depending on the severity of your foundation issues.
Engineered Solutions of Georgia does offer financing options on its services. Read over these options here:
- Same-As-Cash Option: Engineered Solutions of Georgia also uses EnerBank USA to provide loans with approved credit. Similar to Ram Jack, this option has a repayment window ranging between 24 to 132 months. This option has no interest and no payments for the first 12 months. If paid within a year, interest is waived.
- Reduced Interest Loan Option: Engineered Solutions offers a five-year reduced interest loan. This loan has 6.99% APR, and its repayment window ranges from 60 to 120 months. Payment occurs 30 days after the loan closes.
4. AquaGuard Foundation Solutions: Best for Gutters in Atlanta
AquaGuard Foundation Solutions is a great provider to combat Atlanta’s rainy seasons. The company employs more than 150 trained experts across Atlanta and North Georgia to deliver a comprehensive selection of foundation repair services. It also offers gutter services, including gutter guards and downspout extensions.
AquaGuard Foundation Solutions Services
AquaGuard Foundation Solutions offers an extensive collection of service options. Check out some of its standout services below:
- Vapor Barrier: The company installs a WallSeal™ Vapor Barrier in your home’s basement to combat mold growth, pest infestations, high utility bills and structural damage.
- AquaGuard Gutter Protection System: A gutter guard prevents unwanted debris such as leaves and pine needles from clogging and damaging your gutters. Unlike other guard protection systems, AquaGuard’s patented covered gutter protection system has no vertical openings which is ideal for Georgia’s pine and oak trees. This is an excellent solution to foundation issues, such as exterior wall and fascia damage, basement leaks and insulation damage.
- Wall Anchors: Wall anchors stabilize and straighten foundation walls, and they have proven to be one of the most effective options for repair since the 1970s. This solution also features minimal damage to your lawn and landscaping.
AquaGuard Foundation Solutions Cost and Financing Options
AquaGuard’s services will likely cost from $4,000 to $5,000. AquaGuard accepts payments in the form of cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or AquaGuard Financing.
AquaGuard uses its own financing specialist to create a payment plan with you. :
- Payment Plan: AquaGuard’s financing specialist will connect you with a third-party financing service that works to avoid dipping into your savings or your home’s equity.
5. Crawlspaces and More: Best for Crawl Spaces in Atlanta
As the name suggests, Crawlspaces and More is a great foundation repair contractor if your home has a crawl space foundation. The company is located in the heart of Atlanta off Piedmont Drive, and it offers foundation services focused on crawl space foundations. It also focuses on waterproofing services and mold remediation.
Crawlspaces and More Services
The company offers a collection of services that are perfect for a home with a crawl space foundation, including:
- Basement Repairs: Based on a detailed evaluation, Crawlspaces and More will provide mold treatment and waterproofing services to combat leaks, mold and rotting wood before it becomes a danger to your foundation. The company works with both finished and unfinished basements.
- Crawl Space Encapsulation: The company can protect your crawl space by closing it off with high-quality plastic. This prevents new mold growth and excess humidity, and it can assist in reducing your energy bills.
- Mold Treatment and Removal: Crawlspaces and More uses a combination of safe biodegradable cleaning agents and a proprietary application method to completely remove and prevent mold development in your crawl space. The company also uses dehumidifiers to assist in this treatment.
- Pest Services: If pests entering your crawl space is a concern for you, then Crawlspaces and More can help by tailoring crawl space services to meet your pest concerns.
Crawlspaces and More Cost and Financing Options
You should expect their services to cost around the average for foundation repair in Atlanta, $4,000–$5,000.
Crawlspaces and More provides a custom payment plan for you for its services. Learn about the company’s payment plan below:
- Payment Plan: Crawlspaces and More works with Hearth to create custom financing options for its customers. You enter some brief information on Hearth’s website to generate a tailored loan and payment plan.
We recommend you look into Olshan for the most comprehensive and reliable service in the area. If financing is a major concern for you, we suggest you check out Ram Jack’s offerings. For more specific needs, like real estate transactions and gutters, we recommend Engineered Solutions of Georgia and Aquaguard Foundation Solutions. Crawl space owners can benefit from repair and preventative services from Crawlspaces and More.
We encourage you to get quote information from multiple providers before deciding which company is right for your foundation repair job.
Compare Top Foundation Repair Companies in Atlanta
|Company||Olshan||Ram Jack||Engineered Solutions of Georgia||AquaGuard Foundation Solutions||Crawlspaces and More|
|Best for||Overall||Pile Systems||Real Estate Services||Gutters||Crawl Spaces|
|Average Cost||$3,000-$7,500||$1,000-$5,000||$4,000-$5,000 (Atlanta Average)||$4,000-$5,000 (Atlanta Average)||$4,000-$5,000 (Atlanta Average)|
Average Cost of Foundation Repair in Atlanta
A wide variety of factors will have an impact on the overall cost of a foundation repair job in Atlanta. The average cost of foundation repair in Atlanta tends to range between $4,000 and $5,000.
Keep in mind that the severity of the damage, the need for slabjacking, the need for additional materials or services and the resale value influence your overall cost. Read over the average costs of popular foundation repair services in Atlanta below:
- Pier-and-Beam Services: $4,000–$6,500
- Basement Waterproofing: $2,500–$7,000
- Concrete Crack Filling: $220–$700
- Slope/Concrete Stabilization: $3,500–$11,500
Signs of Foundation Problems
There are typically noticable signs of foundation issues. Here are some of the most common:
- Exterior Cracks: These cracks are typically large and have a zigzag pattern. Sometimes they are referred to as “staircase cracks” as they resemble the outline of a staircase. This is especially common on brick-and-mortar exteriors.
- Interior Sheetrock Cracks: If you notice large cracks on your drywall that line almost the entire wall, zigzag, or cause wallpaper to fall off, then you are most likely having an issue with the foundation below.
- Sloping Floors: Another sign of foundation issues are uneven floors that slope to one side. Doors that are out of square also indicate a problem with the foundation beneath. Pay attention if the gradient of your floor is more than one or two inches every 15 feet.
- Bouncing Floors: If you notice that your floors are bouncy, then it is a sign that you might have rotten wood in your home’s foundation.
- Door Frame/Window Frame Separation From Brick: This is a severe sign that you are experiencing foundation issues. If you notice a door frame or window frame being separate from brick, seek immediate help.
Foundation Services You May Need in Atlanta
Atlanta homes feature basement, crawl space, and other wall foundations. These foundations mainly experience problems due to lateral pressure and wet conditions. Learn some of the major causes for foundation issues in Atlanta below:
- Settling Foundation: This is one of the most common foundation issues in Atlanta, and it is caused by bad drainage, natural ground movement and sinking. Cracks in brickwork, displaced doorways and windows and uneven floors are all common signs that a foundation is settling. The most common solution to a settling foundation is using helical piers to underpin and lift the foundation.
- Wet Weather Patterns: Atlanta is often rainy and humid. When soil is saturated, it becomes soft and begins to expand. This leads to foundation shifting, as well as basement leaks. In addition to using piers and beams, waterproofing services may be required due to this problem causing mold and mildew.
- Improper Excavation: Sometimes during construction areas subjected to settlement are not accounted for. This means that the foundation was built on ground that was not properly set for long-term stability. This causes different parts of a house to settle at different rates causing cracks with uneven walls and floors.
Foundation Repair Terminology
Foundation repair is a complicated field that features many different terms and ideas you may not be familiar with from day-to-day home maintenance. Below are some major terms you will come across as you research foundation repair companies that you need to know.
- Channel Drains: This is a specific type of floor drain that contains a channel-shaped body. It is used for the rapid evacuation of surface water to a utility line.
- Crawl Space Encapsulation: This refers to when a company seals off a crawl space from moisture and excess humidity. The process will often involve an adhesive sealant to create a vapor barrier that blocks humidity from entering. The company will then line the crawl space with a plastic sheet.
- Downspout Extensions: These are extensions installed on your gutters. They allow rainwater to be moved further away from your home’s foundation.
- Footing Drains: This refers to a pipe that is installed around the perimeter of the foundation walls on level with the footing. The pipe collects water that would have leaked through the top of the footing into the basement. It then drains it away from the foundation walls.
- Interior Water Discharge Solutions: This refers to whenever a foundation repair company creates a solution or system to deal with water in your foundation. Some popular solutions include sump pumps and flooring drain installations.
- Mudjacking: This refers to when concrete is raised by pumping mud or other material under it through drilled holes
- Piers: Piers are large beams that are installed vertically beneath a home’s foundation. They are typically used when settlement occurs. They are raised by using a hydraulic machine, and they position the foundation at its proper level. Popular options include push piers, which are used for smaller homes with concrete slab foundations, and helical piers, which are used for large homes or projects and feature a screw-like design.
- Pilings: These are heavy stakes or posts installed to support the foundations of a superstructure. Piers are a type of piling.
- Slab Foundation: This is a type of foundation that consists of 4”–6″ thick concrete that the home rests on. This concrete slab is often placed on a layer of sand for drainage and to act as a cushion. A home built on a slab foundation does not feature a crawl space.
- Sump Pump: A sump pump is a device installed in a home’s crawl space or basement to collect water. They are also designed and installed to redirect the water to an exterior drainage system.
- Surface Drain Installation: This service has a foundation repair company install a drain in your crawl space or basement that funnel any leaks into an exterior drainage system.
- Surface Glue Down: This refers to when a company uses an adhesive sealant that stops excess moisture from getting inside your home’s basement or crawl space.
- Underpinning: This term refers to when a solid foundation is laid to support or strengthen a home’s foundation. Piers are typically used during underpinning.
- Wall Anchors: Wall anchors are a popular solution for bowing walls. They require less maintenance and time than piers. A steel strap fastens to the end of a common joist in a bowing wall. They are built into the brickwork of a wall to provide lateral support.
How We Chose the Top Foundation Repair Companies
Today’s Homeowner works to provide our readers with well-researched, unbiased reviews. We have created a detailed research process that uses a weighted scoring system to objectively rate each company we review. We also believe in being transparent about our process and scoring in order to back-up our conclusions. Our rating system for foundation repair is based on a 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Service Options (48): Does the company offer a comprehensive selection of foundation solutions, including waterproofing, concrete lifting, slope stabilization, leaning chimney repairs, and more?
- Payment Options (10): What financing options does the company provide for its customers? Can customers receive financing options such as same-as-cash and a reduced-interest rate?
- Trustworthiness (10): Has the company garnered a solid reputation for its services? What rating does the company have on the Better Business Bureau? Does it feature an accreditation on the Better Business Bureau?
- Warranty Options (20): Does the company provide a substantial warranty on its services? Does it offer a lifetime warranty or only exterior and interior underpin warranties?
- Additional benefits (12): What additional benefits can customers receive from the company, including commercial services, online blogs, online videos, an online booking process, and eco-friendly options?
Foundation Repair in Atlanta FAQ
Can a house collapse from foundation issues?
Yes. Over time a house may collapse from serious foundation problems. Basement walls cracking and bowing inwards are a sign that walls may collapse.
How do I sell my house with foundation problems?
If you are attempting to sell a home with known foundation problems, you will have to get a structural engineer to compile a report that will be shared with the buyer during the closing period. Any known foundation issues must be disclosed to the buyer in writing.
Will homeowners insurance cover foundation problems?
Foundation repairs may be covered through a homeowner’s insurance policy if the policy states it. Read your policy carefully to find out your options.