Atlanta is known for its humid climate and dramatic shifts in weather. Unfortunately, this climate presents various issues for both crawl space and concrete slab foundations. Rainy weather may cause the region’s red clay soil to expand and contract, causing cracking and shifting in your home’s foundation. Good, clean gutters also play a major role in your foundation’s structural integrity.
If you notice musty odors, wet basements, wood discoloration or leaning chimneys, a damaged foundation could be to blame. We have created this guide to point you toward the top foundation repair contractors in the Atlanta area, detailing their services and costs, as well as provide examples of reviews from customers.
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
Top Foundation Repair Companies in Atlanta
- Olshan: Best Overall in Atlanta
- Ram Jack: Best for Pile Systems in Atlanta
- Engineered Solutions of Georgia: Best for Real Estate Services in Atlanta
- AquaGuard Foundation Solutions: Best for Gutters in Atlanta
- Crawlspaces and More: Best for Crawl Spaces in Atlanta
Since 1933, Olshan has provided foundation repair services across the southeastern United States. Each of Olshan’s branches focus on the root causes of foundation issues in their service areas, such as the red clay soil found throughout Atlanta. The company also provides one of the largest selection of service options with easy financing for both homeowners and business owners.
Cost and Financing Options
Olshan states that its foundation services on average range between $3,000 and $7,500. We calculated that a repair for 10 feet worth of a basement for an Atlanta house with two doors would be $9,713.
Given that foundation repair is costly, Olshan works with customers to create payment plans that feature no payments and no interest for 12 months. Customers can receive rates as low as 0% and payments as low as $125 per month, subject to credit approval.
2. Ram Jack
Ram Jack has offered foundation repair solutions to residential and commercial customers since 1975. Its Marietta, Georgia, location serves clients throughout Atlanta. If you are primarily concerned about piling services, we recommend Ram Jack with its wide variety of piling options including eco-friendly driven piles.
Cost and Financing Options
Ram Jack states that the average cost for pier-and-beam repairs runs from $1,000 to $3,000 for piers that are six to eight feet apart. Piers that focus on a single corner can cost between $3,500 and $5,000. Keep in mind that your price can vary greatly depending on the extent of foundation damage and the services required for a repair.
Ram Jack offers excellent financing options for this costly process. Read about the company’s financing options here:
- Same-As-Cash Option: Through EnerBank USA, Ram Jack provides loans with approved credit with a repayment window ranging from 24 to 132 months. If paid within a year, interest can be waived. This option has no interest and no payments for the first 12 months.
- Reduced-Interest Loan Option: Also through EnerBank USA, Ram Jack offers a five-year reduced interest loan. This loan has 6.99% APR, and its repayment window ranges from 60 to 120 months. Be aware that repayment begins 30 days after the loan closes.
3. Engineered Solutions of Georgia
If you are in the process of buying or selling a home, we recommend Engineered Solutions of Georgia. The company was founded in 2006, but it holds over 150 years of experience for foundation problems across Fulton and Cobb County. In addition to industry-standard foundation repair services, Engineered Solutions of Georgia offers services specifically tailored to real estate, such as working with a home inspection report for specific structural or waterproofing problems.
Cost and Financing Options
You should expect to pay anywhere between $4,000 and $5,000, depending on the severity of your foundation issues.
Engineered Solutions of Georgia does offer financing options on its services. Read over these options here:
- Same-As-Cash Option: Engineered Solutions of Georgia also uses EnerBank USA to provide loans with approved credit. Similar to Ram Jack, this option has a repayment window ranging between 24 to 132 months. This option has no interest and no payments for the first 12 months. If paid within a year, interest is waived.
- Reduced Interest Loan Option: Engineered Solutions offers a five-year reduced interest loan. This loan has 6.99% APR, and its repayment window ranges from 60 to 120 months. Payment occurs 30 days after the loan closes.
4. AquaGuard Foundation Solutions
AquaGuard Foundation Solutions is a great provider to combat Atlanta’s rainy seasons. The company employs more than 150 trained experts across Atlanta and North Georgia to deliver a comprehensive selection of foundation repair services. It also offers gutter services, including gutter guards and downspout extensions.
Cost and Financing Options
AquaGuard’s services will likely cost from $4,000 to $5,000. AquaGuard accepts payments in the form of cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or AquaGuard Financing.
AquaGuard’s financing specialist will connect you with a third-party financing service that works to avoid dipping into your savings or your home’s equity.
5. Crawlspaces and More
As the name suggests, Crawlspaces and More is a great foundation repair contractor if your home has a crawl space foundation. The company is located in the heart of Atlanta off Piedmont Drive, and it offers foundation services focused on crawl space foundations. It also focuses on waterproofing services and mold remediation.
Cost and Financing Options
You should expect their services to cost around the average for foundation repair in Atlanta, $4,000–$5,000.
Crawlspaces and More works with Hearth to create custom financing options for its customers. You enter some brief information on Hearth’s website to generate a tailored loan and payment plan.
We recommend you look into Olshan for the most comprehensive and reliable service in the area. If financing is a major concern for you, we suggest you check out Ram Jack’s offerings. For more specific needs, like real estate transactions and gutters, we recommend Engineered Solutions of Georgia and Aquaguard Foundation Solutions. Crawl space owners can benefit from repair and preventative services from Crawlspaces and More.
We encourage you to get quote information from multiple providers before deciding which company is right for your foundation repair job.
Compare Top Foundation Repair Companies in Atlanta
|Company||Olshan||Ram Jack||Engineered Solutions of Georgia||AquaGuard Foundation Solutions||Crawlspaces and More|
|Best for||Overall||Pile Systems||Real Estate Services||Gutters||Crawl Spaces|
|Average Cost||$3,000-$7,500||$1,000-$5,000||$4,000-$5,000 (Atlanta Average)||$4,000-$5,000 (Atlanta Average)||$4,000-$5,000 (Atlanta Average)|
Average Cost of Foundation Repair in Atlanta
A wide variety of factors will have an impact on the overall cost of a foundation repair job in Atlanta. The average cost of foundation repair in Atlanta tends to range between $4,000 and $5,000.
Keep in mind that the severity of the damage, the need for slabjacking, the need for additional materials or services and the resale value influence your overall cost. Read over the average costs of popular foundation repair services in Atlanta below:
- Pier-and-Beam Services: $4,000–$6,500
- Basement Waterproofing: $2,500–$7,000
- Concrete Crack Filling: $220–$700
- Slope/Concrete Stabilization: $3,500–$11,500
Signs of Foundation Problems
There are typically noticable signs of foundation issues. Here are some of the most common:
- Exterior Cracks: These cracks are typically large and have a zigzag pattern. Sometimes they are referred to as “staircase cracks” as they resemble the outline of a staircase. This is especially common on brick-and-mortar exteriors.
- Interior Sheetrock Cracks: If you notice large cracks on your drywall that line almost the entire wall, zigzag, or cause wallpaper to fall off, then you are most likely having an issue with the foundation below.
- Sloping Floors: Another sign of foundation issues are uneven floors that slope to one side. Doors that are out of square also indicate a problem with the foundation beneath. Pay attention if the gradient of your floor is more than one or two inches every 15 feet.
- Bouncing Floors: If you notice that your floors are bouncy, then it is a sign that you might have rotten wood in your home’s foundation.
- Door Frame/Window Frame Separation From Brick: This is a severe sign that you are experiencing foundation issues. If you notice a door frame or window frame being separate from brick, seek immediate help.
Foundation Services You May Need in Atlanta
Atlanta homes feature basement, crawl space, and other wall foundations. These foundations mainly experience problems due to lateral pressure and wet conditions. Learn some of the major causes for foundation issues in Atlanta below:
- Settling Foundation: This is one of the most common foundation issues in Atlanta, and it is caused by bad drainage, natural ground movement and sinking. Cracks in brickwork, displaced doorways and windows and uneven floors are all common signs that a foundation is settling. The most common solution to a settling foundation is using helical piers to underpin and lift the foundation.
- Wet Weather Patterns: Atlanta is often rainy and humid. When soil is saturated, it becomes soft and begins to expand. This leads to foundation shifting, as well as basement leaks. In addition to using piers and beams, waterproofing services may be required due to this problem causing mold and mildew.
- Improper Excavation: Sometimes during construction areas subjected to settlement are not accounted for. This means that the foundation was built on ground that was not properly set for long-term stability. This causes different parts of a house to settle at different rates causing cracks with uneven walls and floors.
Foundation Repair Terminology
Foundation repair is a complicated field that features many different terms and ideas you may not be familiar with from day-to-day home maintenance. Below are some major terms you will come across as you research foundation repair companies that you need to know.
- Channel Drains: This is a specific type of floor drain that contains a channel-shaped body. It is used for the rapid evacuation of surface water to a utility line.
- Downspout Extensions: These are extensions installed on your gutters. They allow rainwater to be moved further away from your home’s foundation.
- Footing Drains: This refers to a pipe that is installed around the perimeter of the foundation walls on level with the footing. The pipe collects water that would have leaked through the top of the footing into the basement. It then drains it away from the foundation walls.
- Interior Water Discharge Solutions: This refers to whenever a foundation repair company creates a solution or system to deal with water in your foundation. Some popular solutions include sump pumps and flooring drain installations.
- Mudjacking: This refers to when concrete is raised by pumping mud or other material under it through drilled holes
- Pilings: These are heavy stakes or posts installed to support the foundations of a superstructure. Piers are a type of piling.
- Sump Pump: A sump pump is a device installed in a home’s crawl space or basement to collect water. They are also designed and installed to redirect the water to an exterior drainage system.
- Surface Drain Installation: This service has a foundation repair company install a drain in your crawl space or basement that funnel any leaks into an exterior drainage system.
- Surface Glue Down: This refers to when a company uses an adhesive sealant that stops excess moisture from getting inside your home’s basement or crawl space.
- Underpinning: This term refers to when a solid foundation is laid to support or strengthen a home’s foundation. Piers are typically used during underpinning.
Foundation Repair in Atlanta FAQ
Can a house collapse from foundation issues?
Yes. Over time a house may collapse from serious foundation problems. Basement walls cracking and bowing inwards are a sign that walls may collapse.
How do I sell my house with foundation problems?
If you are attempting to sell a home with known foundation problems, you will have to get a structural engineer to compile a report that will be shared with the buyer during the closing period. Any known foundation issues must be disclosed to the buyer in writing.
Will homeowners insurance cover foundation problems?
Foundation repairs may be covered through a homeowner’s insurance policy if the policy states it. Read your policy carefully to find out your options.
How We Chose the Top Foundation Repair Companies
Today’s Homeowner works to provide our readers with well-researched, unbiased reviews. We have created a detailed research process that uses a weighted scoring system to objectively rate each company we review. We also believe in being transparent about our process and scoring in order to back-up our conclusions. Our rating system for foundation repair is based on a 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Service Options (48): Does the company offer a comprehensive selection of foundation solutions, including waterproofing, concrete lifting, slope stabilization, leaning chimney repairs, and more?
- Payment Options (10): What financing options does the company provide for its customers? Can customers receive financing options such as same-as-cash and a reduced-interest rate?
- Trustworthiness (10): Has the company garnered a solid reputation for its services? What rating does the company have on the Better Business Bureau? Does it feature an accreditation on the Better Business Bureau?
- Warranty Options (20): Does the company provide a substantial warranty on its services? Does it offer a lifetime warranty or only exterior and interior underpin warranties?
- Additional benefits (12): What additional benefits can customers receive from the company, including commercial services, online blogs, online videos, an online booking process, and eco-friendly options?