American Home Shield (AHS) is one of the oldest home warranty providers in the United States and has earned a reputation as one of the most reliable partners for homeowners looking to protect their homes and their wallets from expensive home repairs. Unlike homeowners insurance, a home warranty covers your home’s major systems and appliances from everyday wear and tear.
In our independent research of the home warranty industry, we found AHS was the best overall home warranty company. In this review, we’ll delve into this provider’s plans, prices, and coverage. We’ll also offer information about cost and how to get a free quote. At the end, we’ll answer some frequently asked questions about home warranties.
For a free quote from American Home Shield, fill out this online form or call an agent at 844-529-9298.
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
Overall, we rated American Home Shield as the best overall option for home warranties.
American Home Shield Overview
- American Home Shield will cover appliances and systems of any age.
- Customers have the ability to choose from among three service fees, what you will pay when a contractor comes to make your repairs. Monthly premiums will increase or decrease according to your chosen fee. A higher service fee will result in a lower monthly payment.
- American Home Shield has a nationwide network of trusted contractors, but homeowners can also choose their own, as long as they are licensed and pre-approved.
American Home Shield was founded in 1971 and currently serves every state but Alaska. AHS is one of the most popular choices for home warranties, serving more than 1.8 million customers. The company is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and holds a B rating.
Customers can choose from among three American Home Shield plans, including a ShieldPlatinum combo plan that covers 23 appliances and systems. There are also several add-ons, which allow customers to customize their coverage.
American Home Shield Coverage and Plans
Choosing American Home Shield for your home warranty means you’ll select one of three plan options:
|Built-in microwave ovens||✔||✔|
|Freestanding ice makers||✔||✔|
|Built-in food centers||✔||✔|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||✔||✔|
Exclusions and Coverage Caps
When you buy an American Home Shield warranty, you will need to wait 30 days before you can make service requests. This 30-day waiting period is waived if you bought or received your home warranty as part of a real estate contract.
The ShieldGold Plan has a $3,000 per appliance coverage limit during your contract term. The ShieldPlatinum Plan includes additional coverage, doubling this amount to $6,000 per appliance. All ShieldPlatinum policyholders are also entitled to one free HVAC tune-up per warranty term
There is no coverage limit on systems. As long as your item is covered, you will receive repairs. The ShieldPlatinum plan also covers $1,500 per year of roof-leak repairs and $1,000 per year for code violations, permits, and modifications.
Optional coverage for these items is also available for you to add to one of the three plans described above:
- Pool and/or in-ground spa equipment
- Well pump
- Septic system plumbing and septic sewage ejector pump
- Extended warranties for electronics
We received these prices for add-ons:
|Package||Price Per Month|
|Pool and in-ground spas||$13.33-$20|
|Septic pump (first year only)||$2.50|
|Guest unit (<750 square feet)||$13.99|
Although American Home Shield provides comparable standard coverage to other top providers, their add-on options are limited compared with others. For instance, many homeowners elect to have a second refrigerator covered. However, American Home Shield doesn’t offer this commonly desired option.
American Home Shield Cost
With most home warranty plans, the two costs to consider are the monthly premium, which you pay each month or on an annual basis, and the service fee, which you pay at the time of repair. Our team got a sample quote directly from American Home Shield for an address in the Georgia ZIP code 30097, and we received the following details in the tables below.
American Home Shield allows you to alter your monthly premium based on the service fee, which ranges from $75 to $125. In other words, the higher your service fee, the lower your monthly cost.
|$75 service fee||$44.99||$54.99||$69.99|
|$100 service fee||$34.99||$44.99||$59.99|
|$125 service fee||$29.99||$39.99||$54.99|
Our Verdict on American Home Shield
American Home Shield has some great options for homeowners. This company has many years in the industry — almost 50 — plus a solid reputation. The prices are reasonable for comprehensive plans, and we especially like their ShieldGold plan. Consequently, we rate this provider as the best overall in the industry.
- Does not require a home inspection
- Choose your own service fee
- 24/7 service requests and customer service
- Coverage available in 49 states (excluding Alaska)
It’s up to you to decide which home warranty provider can offer you what you need in terms of home protection, but our reviews will help make your decision easier.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Home Warranty?
A home warranty is a one-year service contract that covers the repair or replacement of your major home appliances and systems. Unlike a manufacturer’s warranty for a specific home appliance that expires a year after purchase, a home warranty can be renewed every year for as long as you own your home.
What Are The Benefits of A Home Warranty?
Having a home warranty plan provides two primary benefits:
- Budget Protection: You’re covered when your home’s components need costly repairs, so your emergency fund is safe.
- Convenience: Not only will the cost of repairs be covered by a home warranty, but you’ll also be relieved of the hassle of finding a reputable repair service provider in your area. A home warranty selects a technician for your repairs, so you don’t have to find someone yourself.
These two main advantages of having a home warranty plan lead to peace of mind. Knowing that you and your family are safe from financial risk because your home warranty company will take care of arranging for repairs will help you sleep better at night.
Is American Home Shield legitimate?
American Home Shield has a proven track record of paying claims. It has been in business since 1971 and currently serves more than 1.8 million homeowners in 49 states.
Can I purchase coverage for my pool without buying a home warranty?
Add-on coverage can only be purchased with one of American Home Shield’s base plans. If you need coverage for your pool, consider adding it to the ShieldSilver plan, AHS’s least expensive plan option.
How do I file a claim with American Home Shield?
To file a request for a repair, contact American Home Shield, either online or over the phone. Both options are available 24/7. When you request service, you’ll pay your trade service call fee. AHS will then assign a professional to make repairs, and your repair will be paid for by AHS if it is a covered item.
Our Research Goals
Our research team understands the importance of providing consumers with in-depth, unbiased information that they can use to make an informed choice when searching for a top home warranty provider that best fits their needs. We dig deep into several aspects of each company’s business practices to bring you in-depth, comprehensive reviews to help take some of the busywork off your shoulders.
However, we always strongly encourage readers to do their own research for their own home situation by requesting quotes from multiple companies, as well as reading customer reviews and sample contracts.
Upon reading our review, you’ll know what types of home warranty plans American Home Shield offers, what they cover and don’t cover, and the costs involved with each plan. We’ll also give you a deeper look into the aspects of American Home Shield that affect the customer experience the most.
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.