Homeowners have a lot to worry about when it comes to keeping their largest investment in good shape. From plumbing to air conditioning, refrigerators to washing machines, systems and appliances can break down — and inevitably, they will. The reviews team has evaluated American Residential Home Warranty’s plans, add-on options, prices, customer ratings and more to give you an in-depth look at the company.
With a home warranty, you can feel at ease, knowing that damage due to regular wear and tear will be covered.
In This Article:
- American Residential Warranty Overview
- What to Know About Their Plans
- Cost Breakdowns
- How to Get a Quote
- How to Make a Claim
- Preferred Provider: American Home Shield
Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions.
The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
In the end, the reviews team found that American Home Shield is the Best Overall home warranty provider. This company has a long-standing history of satisfying customers and offering top-notch service.
American Residential Warranty Overview
American Residential Warranty is a national company headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida. They specialize in home warranty plans, electronics protection plans and home security systems.
The home warranty part of the company has four plans, with add-ons or bundles to increase coverage. These are available in all 50 states. Prices range from $25 to $125, depending on the protection provided.
What to Know About American Residential Warranty Plans
American Residential Warranty includes four plans: Platinum Premier, Platinum, Kitchen Plus and Heating & Cooling, protecting a wide variety of systems and appliances.
|Coverage||Platinum Premier||Platinum||Kitchen Plus||Heating & Cooling|
|Garage Door Opener||✓|
|Interior Electrical System||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Kitchen Exhaust Fan||✓||✓||✓|
|Plumbing Stoppages||✓ (not including fixtures)|
|Plumbing System||✓ (not including fixtures)|
|Refrigerator||✓ (including icemaker)||✓ (not including icemaker)||✓ (not including icemaker)|
American Residential Warranty has a variety of add-on options to increase coverage of your base plan. Below are the options you have:
- A/C Advantage
- Deluxe Advantage (only available on the Platinum Premier Plan):
- Refrigerant recapture and condenser
- Dishwasher: racks, baskets and rollers
- Range/oven/cooktop: clocks, rotisseries, racks, handle knobs, dials and interior lining
- Built-in microwave: clocks, shelves, door glass and interior lining
- Garage door springs and tracks
- Water heater sediment build-up
- Improper installation
- Mismatched systems
- Code violation, permits, and modifications
- Removal of defective equipment
- Well pump
- Pool & spa
- Additional range/oven/cooktop
- Additional air conditioner
- Plumbing system (included with Platinum Premier)
- Ceiling fans (included with Platinum Premier)
- Plumbing Advantage
- Food spoilage
- External water or sewer lines
- Water heater (included with Platinum Premier, Platinum, and Kitchen Plus)
- Additional refrigerator or freezer
- Clothes washer & dryer (included with Platinum Premier at a promotional rate)
- Ice-maker (included with Platinum Premier)
- Built-in microwave (included with Platinum Premier, Platinum, and Kitchen Plus)
In addition, the company offers two bundle options. The components of these are listed and explained below:
|Coverage||4-in-1 Bundle||3-in-1 Bundle|
|Platinum Premier Plan||✓||✓|
|Deluxe Advantage Add-On||✓||✓|
|Ultimate Electronics Protection Plan||✓||✓|
|Sewer and Water Lines||✓|
The Ultimate Electronics Protection Plan, included in both bundles, covers:
- Flat-screen TVs
- Home theater system
- Gaming consoles
The sewer and water lines coverage, included in the 4-in-1 Bundle, covers:
- Repairs and blockages
- Excavation costs
- Reseeding the grass
- Repaving the driveway
Although American Residential Warranty has an extensive list of plans, add-ons and bundles, minor roofing leaks and septic systems aren’t covered.
Cost Breakdowns for American Residential Warranty
Plan and Bundle Prices
American Residential Warranty’s plans and bundles offer a range of prices from $25 to $125 per month, according to the company site.
|Platinum Premier||Platinum||Kitchen Plus||Heating & Cooling||Ultimate Electronics Protection||4-in-1 Bundle||3-in-1 Bundle|
When a homeowner is in need of a repair or replacement, they must first file a claim with the company. Once a customer’s claim is approved, they are charged a service fee of $55, which is cheaper than the typical home warranty service fee of $75-$100.
How to Get a Quote from American Residential Warranty
Getting a quote is easy with American Residential Warranty. First, visit the website to view your options. Then, you can get a quote for that plan by calling 888-840-0005.
How to Make a Claim With American Residential Warranty
The claims process changes depending on the state you live in. Visit this website to select your state from a map and fill out a claims form. You can also call one of the following numbers to make a claim:
- Claims phone number for all states except CA, FL, IA, TX, VA and WA: 877-637-7890
- For CA, FL, IA, TX, VA and WA: 800-863-8600
- Claims for the Electronics Protection Plan: 844-885-8621
Reviews of American Residential Warranty
American Residential Warranty is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and holds an A+ rating. Customers on the site have awarded American Residential Warranty 4.5 stars, much higher than most home warranty companies.
However, reviews are mixed. All BBB ratings are as of February 2020.
“Great company! They are good at saving you money and getting things done. I love my home warranty!”— Shari S., 5 stars, BBB
“This company is not reliable whatsoever — they will pull your legs till you get tired. Almost NEVER is a claim approved, and even when they approve it, sometimes they won’t have a technician for you. They promise to reimburse and they almost NEVER pay. Right now I called them about a problem I have, and I’m waiting already 19 minutes on the line for somebody to pick up. For your sake, don’t even get a quote from them because they say it’s free, it still doesn’t pay.”— Asher H., 1 star, BBB
Assessment of American Residential Warranty
American Residential Warranty has an A+ rating from the BBB for its 24/7 customer service, coverage in all 50 states, cheap service fee and fast repairs. Non-emergency repairs will be completed within 48 hours, while emergency repairs will be made within 24 hours, all by pre-screened, licensed technicians.
With American Residential Warranty, you can use your own contractor if you’d prefer; you’ll just need to request it. American Residential Warranty includes a variety of unique services, such as an electronics protection plan, bundles and customer perks, like appliance and refer-a-friend discounts.
Despite its higher than average cost compared to other companies with similar plans, it still lacks roofing and septic system coverage. It also has limitations on the amount it is willing to spend on repairing or replacing items based on their age.
Although American Residential Warranty provides quality service, it is still expensive and has holes in its home coverage, which is why the reviews team recommends American Home Shield for Best Overall home warranty provider.
Preferred Provider: American Home Shield
American Home Shield has been in the business since 1971 and has wide national reach, offering services in every state except for Alaska. The reviews team ranks American Home Shield as the Best Overall home warranty provider for its combination of specialized, comprehensive and customizable plans.
American Home Shield offers three home warranty plans. Its ShieldSilver Plan covers 14 major systems, including heating and cooling, electrical and plumbing systems. The ShieldGold Plan covers the systems covered by the ShieldSilver pPan and adds coverage for major kitchen and laundry appliances up to $3,000. The ShieldPlatinum Plan covers all 23 systems and appliances in the ShieldGold Plan and adds $1,500 of roof-leak coverage. It also increases the coverage limit on appliances to $6,000.
Other American Home Shield pros include its flexible service fee. Customers can choose between $75, $100 and $125. A higher service fee means a lower monthly premium.
Finally, the company also responds to customer service requests within the first 24 hours 98% of the time.
Home Warranty Rating Methodology
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.