Today’s Homeowner works with an independent reviews team to create evidence-based research that helps our readers make informed decisions. The reviews are always independent. For transparency, we may be compensated if you purchase through a link.
We know what your home means to you and your family. That’s why we know how important it is to protect your major appliances and home systems when they break down due to normal wear and tear. Keep reading to learn about AHW Home Warranty, its potential drawbacks and our recommended provider, American Home Shield.
In This Article:
- Pros and Cons
- Plans and Coverage
- Filing a Claim
- Our Verdict
- Frequently Asked Questions
AHW Home Warranty Overview
Based in Columbus, Ohio, AHW offers standard coverage for a reasonable price, as well as specialty add-on options that most home warranty providers don’t provide, such as a wine refrigerator, whole-house humidifier or instant hot water dispenser. The company has a network of more than 10,000 certified, licensed and insured technicians and offers three different home warranty plans.
However, consumers should note that the company settled a class-action lawsuit in November 2021. The suit alleged the company misled customers, concealed their CEO’s identity and generated false customer reviews. Here’s how AHW ranks compared to other top providers.
Pros and Cons of AHW Home Warranty
✓ Large array of add-on options
✓ $75 off plus one month free as a sign-up bonus
✘ Settled a class-action lawsuit in November 2021 that alleged the company committed consumer fraud
✘ More exclusions than many competitors
✘ No option to choose your technician
Home Warranty Resources
- What is a Home Warranty?
- How Much Do Home Warranties Cost?
- Is a Home Warranty Worth It for You?
- Best Home Warranties in 2023
- Do Your Appliances Need Extended Warranties?
AHW Plans and Coverage
AHW offers three plans: one covering systems such as central air conditioning and hot water heaters, one covering appliances such as clothes washers and dryers and a combo plan covering both appliances and systems, plus some rare specialty items.
AHW also offers coverage for the following add-ons: pool or spa, additional central heat, additional central AC, lawn sprinkler system, septic system, whole-house humidifier, sump pump, limited roof leaks, central vacuum system, well pump, wine refrigerator, septic tank pumping, additional refrigerator, water softener and an extra hot water heater.
|System Plan||Appliance Plan||Combo Plan|
|Central AC system||✔||✔|
|Central heating system||✔||✔|
|Plumbing (not stoppages)||✔||✔|
|Hot water heater||✔||✔|
|Garage door openers||✔||✔|
|Instant hot water dispenser||✔|
|Bathroom exhaust fan||✔|
|Kitchen fan/exhaust hood||✔|
AHW Home Warranty Cost
There are two costs to consider with most home warranty plans: the premium—which may be paid monthly or annually—and the service call fee. The service fee is paid at the time of repair and functions similarly to a deductible.
AHW offers three plans, each of which has the same service fee.
|Plan Name||Average Yearly Premium||Service Fee|
Filing a Claim With AHW
Claims can be submitted in two ways: through the online customer portal on AHW’s website or by calling their phone number, 888-934-0001.
According to AHW, it accepts claims 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The company also states that once a claim has been submitted, AHW will contact a contractor within 48 hours. From there, the contractor will contact the homeowner to schedule an appointment.
Potential customers should be aware that many customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) note difficulty receiving reimbursement and challenges in making contact with the company’s customer service representatives.
Our Verdict on AHW Home Warranty
While AHW Home Warranty offers a unique array of add-on repair options and one month free for policyholders who pay their annual premium up front, we do not recommend this home warranty provider.
The suite of legal issues that the company has run into, such as misrepresenting their years in business and generating false positive customer reviews, should give consumers pause when considering AHW. Instead, we recommend American Home Shield for the best home warranty experience.
Our Recommended Provider: American Home Shield
American Home Shield (AHS) is our research team’s top recommendation for a home warranty due to its range and variety of plan options, comprehensive coverage and outstanding reputation.
- Three plan options. Customers can choose between the ShieldSilver, ShieldGold and ShieldPlatinum plans, which provide increasing amounts of coverage.
- Choose your service fee. Based on the monthly premium you select, you can adjust the amount you’ll pay at the time of service.
- Fast service request response.
:AHS assigns professionals to a customer’s service request within the first 24 hours 98% of the time.
- Strong reputation:
- Founded the home warranty industry and is the oldest home warranty company
- 2019 America’s Best Midsize Employers Award by Forbes
- 2014–2015 Women’s Choice Award
- 2014 Home Warranty Awards “Best in Service” Award
Choosing a home warranty company is a significant decision because your peace of mind depends on it. As always, we recommend that you request quotes from multiple providers and read all the fine print.
Frequently Asked Questions About AHW Home Warranty
Does a home warranty plan cover aging items?
Many home warranty plans include coverage for older systems and appliances. American Home Shield, our top choice, includes coverage for aging items as well as for pre-existing conditions.
What questions should I ask about a home warranty?
Before purchasing a home warranty, it’s essential to ask questions such as:
- What are the dollar limits, or coverage caps, on systems and appliances?
- Does the policy offer a workmanship guarantee?
- Does this warranty cover pre-existing conditions and aging items?
- What is the service or trade call fee?
- Are multiples of each item covered, such as two ovens?
- Do you require a home inspection before coverage begins?
- Can I choose my own contractor?
Beyond these questions, check the company’s reviews on multiple online sites and be sure to read the available sample contract carefully to understand potential exclusions and causes for claim denial.
Is AHW)owned by Amazon?
No. AHW, which recently changed its name from Amazon Home Warranty, is not affiliated in any way with Amazon.com.
How We Chose the Top Home Warranty Companies
To help you find the best home warranty, our reviews team researched numerous home warranty companies, analyzing their coverage plans, pricing and customer service, among other factors:
- Coverage: Home warranty companies that provide extensive coverage and protect important systems and appliances, including your air conditioning, refrigerator and heating, scored higher than companies with minimal coverage.
- Plan variety: A provider with more coverage plans allows for more flexibility among customers. In general, most home warranty companies provide an appliances-only plan, systems-only plan and combination plan.
- Pricing: We scored providers based on their monthly plan prices and service call fees compared to the industry average pricing. Companies with more affordable coverage received more points than companies with more expensive plans.
- State availability: Where you live will determine what companies are available in your area. Home warranty companies that covered more states received more points than companies with a limited state availability.
- Trustworthiness: There are some home warranty companies that are scams and don’t follow through on their service agreements. We rated companies based on their years of experience, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and customer reviews.
To keep our data current, our team regularly updates the data points for each company to ensure their coverage offerings, pricing and availability are accurate.
Reviews of Other Home Warranties