Sagging gutters are often the result of gutter spikes pulling loose from the fascia board they’re nailed into. Rather than hammering gutter spikes back in; replace them with gutter screws, which provide additional holding power.
To replace gutter spikes with gutter screws:
- Remove Gutter Spike: Grasp the head of the spike with locking pliers, then twist and pull the spike out. Be careful not to damage or dent the gutter when pulling out the spike.
- Insert Gutter Screw: Slide gutter screw into the existing hole in the front of the gutter and through the gutter ferrule.
- Tighten Gutter Screw: Use a cordless drill to screw the gutter screw through a new hole in the back of the gutter and into the fascia board. Be careful not to damage the gutter by over tightening the screw.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Replace Gutter Spikes with Gutter Screws (video)
- How to Clean Gutters and Downspouts (video)
- How to Unclog and Clean Downspouts on Gutters (video)
- The Trouble with Gutters (article)
Sagging gutters are unsightly and can lead to leaks. Often the spike that secures them to the fascia board has simply worked loose. The best solution is to replace it with a gutter screw. The screw is inserted through the gutter and ferrule and then driven into the fascia board, deep enough to support the gutter but not too deep to collapse it.
Please help us Danny! All I did was paint the front metal door at our beach condo and ever since (it’s been about a month), the door sticks so bad you have to use your shoulder to open it. It’s mainly sticking to the weather stripping but I let the paint dry for 24 hrs after painting and it continues to stick each time it’s closed. Any suggestions?
My gutters leak at corners. I inspected them and they are clean however, they are not tight. The only thing holding them are nails. I purchased hidden screw gutter hangers. I didn’t notice the gutters have no lip on the inside. How can I fix my problem?
What a great question! We recommend submitting it to the Today’s Homeowner Radio Show.
Please use this form to contact Danny Lipford, America’s Home Expert, directly: https://todayshomeowner.com/radio/ask-questions/