Sagging and clogged gutters can overflow, causing damage to the soffit and fascia on the eaves of your home. To prevent this from happening, it’s important to keep gutters clean and properly maintained.
To maintain your gutters:
- Clean Gutters: Check gutters regularly to make sure they are clean, and remove any leaves or other debris.
- Secure Gutters: To repair sagging or loose gutters, replace the gutter spikes with gutter screws, using a cordless drill. Gutter screws hold much better than standard gutter spikes, providing support and security.
- Seal Leaks: Use a hose to check the joints and seams for leaks. To repair a leaking joint, clean the area thoroughly and apply silicone caulk to seal it.
- Repair Downspouts: Make sure that downspouts are clear of leaves and other debris, and that any joints fit together properly.
- Water Runoff: Check to see that the water coming out of downspouts is diverted away from your home using splash blocks, a downspout extension, or irrigation pipe.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Clean and Repair Gutters (article)
- Cleaning Gutters and Downspouts (video)
- How to Unclog and Clean Downspouts (video)
I’ve been fixing the outside of my house, and I’ll make sure to take good care of my gutters. I’ll make sure to clean them out, and make sure that they’re leak-free. That way I can be sure that water is able to run through them normally.
We enjoy your shows very much. It is especially nice to see father & daughter work together on projects. Keep up the good work DL & we look forward to some shows with you & Your grandchildren…