Whether you’re a first time homeowner, or simply facing challenges with maintaining your home, here are some tips that can help maintain the garbage disposal in your kitchen.
To unjam a clogged garbage disposal:
- Turn off the power to the disposal at the circuit breaker.
- Locate the small hexagonal hole on the bottom of the unit.
- Insert the key that came with the garbage disposal, or an Allen wrench, into the hole.
- Rotate the key back and forth to manually turn the disposal until you release the jam.
To remove bad odors in a garbage disposal:
- Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda into the disposal, followed by a cup of white vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to foam for a minute or two.
- Pour a pot of boiling water down the drain, and let it sit for five minutes.
- Turn on the cold water while running the disposal to flush it out.
Do this once a month and odors will be a thing of the past.
This First Time Homeowner tip brought to you by Merillat cabinets – the dream kitchen for the real world.
- How to Clean the Garbage Disposal in Your Kitchen (video)
- How to Reduce Kitchen Trash Can Odors (video)