Our 1940 First Time Homeowner house only has one small bathroom. Since it hadn’t been remodeled in years and was in need of a major update, we decided to give the room a serious makeover.
Our bathroom remodel included:
- Demolition: Remove fixtures, walls, ceiling, and floor to gut the room down to the studs.
- Window: Remove the existing window above the bathtub, and replace it with a smaller one from JELD-WEN Windows & Doors that won’t interfere with the shower surround.
- Doors: Replace the bathroom door and other interior doors in the house with JELD-WEN Craftsman III doors using the Perfect Fit digital template system, available through The Home Depot in select locations, for doors that precisely fit the existing frames.
- Vent Fan: Install a NuTone Ultra Silent bathroom vent fan that’s properly sized to provide enough ventilation for the room.
- Plumbing: Install plumbing for the tub, shower, toilet, and sink.
- Wiring: Rough in wiring for the light, fan, and wall outlets.
- Insulation: Insulate the interior and exterior walls of the bathroom.
- Bathtub: Install Ensemble tub and surround by Sterling.
- Drywall: Install moisture and mold resistant purple drywall on the bathroom walls.
- Vanity and Wall Cabinet: Install Merillat five-drawer bathroom vanity with soft action closing drawers from their Avenue Collection in maple with Chiffon finish and matching wall cabinet.
- Vanity Top and Sink: Install DeNova Natural Quartz countertop and backsplash in Flaxen Fesco and Kohler porcelain undermount sink.
- Tile Floor: Install 13”x 13” Ivory Piazza porcelain floor tiles from Shaw Floors to match the color of the countertop.
- Faucets: Install Fairfax sink faucet and tub faucet in oil-rubbed bronze from Kohler.
- Toilet: Install Rialto one-piece toilet from Kohler.
- Paint: Paint the bathroom walls and trim.
- Door Hardware: Install Schlage interior door handles from their Andover Collection with an aged bronze finish on the bathroom and other interior doors.
- Cabinet Hardware: Install knobs on the vanity and wall cabinet.
- Accessories: Install towel rods and rings and toilet paper holder.
- Mirror: Hang vanity mirror on wall.
Office Room Makeover
Other Tips from This Episode
Simple Solutions with Joe Truini:
Clean Clothes Washer Water Filters
To clean sand, sediment, and other debris from the hot and cold water line intake filters on a clothes washer, turn off the water to the clothes washer, remove the water hoses, fill a spray bottle with water, and squirt the filters to wash away any dirt. Use a stiff acid brush to remove any additional debris in the filter.
Best New Products with Jodi Marks:
Pergo XP Laminate Flooring
Pergo XP (Extreme Performance) laminate flooring comes with a limited lifetime warranty for residential installation and PermaMax protection for added resistance to stains and scratching. It comes in different widths and colors with realistic wood grain patterns and can be installed over concrete, tile, vinyl or wood floors. Pergo XP Laminate Flooring is available at The Home Depot.
Ask Danny Lipford:
Sizing a Bathroom Vent Fan
To properly size a vent fan for your bathroom, find the cubic feet in the room by multiplying the room’s height by width by length. Divide the cubic feet by 60 (minutes in an hour), then multiply by 8 (air exchanges per hour) to find the minimum cubic feet per minute (CFM) rating for your vent fan. See How to Size a Bathroom Vent Fan to find our more.