How to Build a Wooden Fence
This is the fourth of a seven-part series on building a wood picket fence:
- Part 1: Fencing Options for Your Yard
- Part 2: How to Set Fence Posts in Your Yard
- Part 3: How to Layout Wood Fence Panels
- Part 4: How to Install Wooden Fence Panels
- Part 5: How to Cut Wooden Fence Panels to Length
- Part 6: How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep It from Sagging
- Part 7: How to Stain a Wooden Fence in Your Yard
To attach preassembled fence panels to fence posts:
- Make sure the panels are positioned at the proper height on the posts so the fence rails (stringers) align with the posts and the fence is level and straight.
- Attach the rails to the posts using two #10 hot dipped galvanized casing nails per rail. A nail gun can also be used if corrosion resistant nails are used.
- Support the back of each post with a sledge hammer or other heavy object to keep the post steady while nailing the rails.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Choosing the Right Fence (article)
- Fences: Surrounding Your Surroundings (article)
- Installing a Fence (article)
Comments are closed.