Have you ever wondered, “How can I reduce my electric bill?” or “How can I save more energy?” You’re not alone!
Whether you’re interested in going green to reduce your carbon footprint or gain green in your wallet, it makes sense to save energy.
Adopting these tips will save you money and help the environment.
- Turn lights off when not in use.
- Install motion sensor or timer activated yard lights.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with LEDs.
Heating and Cooling
- Turn the thermostat down during winter and up during summer.
- Open curtains or shades on the south and west sides of your house on sunny days during cold weather.
- Close curtains or shades on the sunny sides of the house during the day in hot weather.
- Close curtains or shades at night during the winter.
- Run paddle fans clockwise on low during the winter to circulate air, and counterclockwise during the summer (when in the room) to feel cooler.
- Check ductwork on the HVAC system for leaks. Patch ducts with metallic tape or duct mastic.
- Change your air filter every one to three months.
- Make sure the fireplace damper is closed when not in use.
- Install solar blocking film on windows.
- Apply weatherstripping around doors and windows.
- Install foam gaskets on plugs and switches on exterior walls.
- Insulate fold-down attic stairs.
- Caulk exterior cracks and gaps around your house.
- Add insulation to the attic.
- Plant deciduous trees on the house’s south and west sides.