It’s possible to give plastic laminate countertops a new look by painting them, if you prepare the surface properly and use the right kind of paint. Here are some tips on how to go about it.
Painting Plastic Laminate Countertops:
- Clean Laminate: Start by cleaning the countertops thoroughly to remove any grease or grime.
- Repair Laminate: Fill any damaged spots with auto body filler, and allow the filler to harden.
- Sand Laminate: Sand the filler flush with the surface, and sand the countertops lightly to remove any gloss.
- Remove Dust: Wipe the countertops down with a damp cloth to remove any sanding dust.
- Paint Laminate: Prime and paint the countertops using a special paint that made for painting laminate.
- Let Paint Cure: Allow the paint to harden and cure completely before using the countertops.
Watch the video above to find out more.
Danny Lipford: People often ask, “Can I paint my laminate countertops?” Laminate countertops can be painted, but they require some specific preparation and specific paint.
Several manufacturers make these coatings, and one of the most popular is a kit that allows you to create a faux finish that looks just like granite. The first step is a thorough cleaning with a scouring pad so that the paint will adhere properly.
For faux granite painting kits, the primer is usually black, and the best application tools are a simple foam brush and a narrow foam roller. When the primer is dry, you can begin applying the various colors with a natural sponge that will create the illusion of granite.
You apply them in a specific order to achieve a specific look, but the pattern of application is very random. You can aid this by occasionally rotating the sponge as you apply the paint.
You may also want to add diagonal lines of the darker color to create the illusion of veins that are in natural granite. Then you soften the hard lines with a sponge before leaving it to dry. Finally, you apply several coats of clear sealer to protect the finish and to add a little gloss.
- Painting Plastic Laminate Countertops (video)
- DIY Faux Granite Finish for Kitchen Countertops (article/video)
- Rust-Oleum Countertop Coating for Plastic Laminate (video)