To allow our new construction to blend with the original 1926 Kuppersmith Project house, we reproduced architectural details on the existing home on our new addition.
Our brick masons constructed a wing wall on the corner of our addition to match the existing home. To finish off the top of the wing wall, we made a poured a cast stone concrete cap. Here’s how we went about it:
- Trace the outline of the cast stone cap on the original house.
- Construct a form from plywood to match the existing cap.
- Mix up and pour concrete into the form.
- Smooth the top of the concrete with a trowel.
- Allow the concrete to set.
- Remove the cast concrete cap from the form.
- Attach the concrete cap to the wing wall using construction adhesive.
Watch this video to find out more.
Danny Lipford is a home improvement expert and television personality who started his remodeling business, Lipford Construction, at the age of 21 in Mobile, Alabama. He gained national recognition as the host of the nationally syndicated television show, Today's Homeowner with Danny Lipford, which started as a small cable show in Mobile. Danny's expertise in home improvement has also led him to be a contributor to popular magazines and websites and the go-to source for advice on everything related to the home. He has made over 200 national television appearances and served as the home improvement expert for CBS's The Early Show and The Weather Channel for over a decade. Danny is also the founder of 3 Echoes Content Studio, TodaysHomeowner.com, and Checking In With Chelsea, a décor and lifestyle blog.