Whether you’re a first time homeowner, or simply facing challenges with maintaining your home, here’s a tip that can help.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, one in six Americans get sick each year due to foodborne illness. Two of the most common food germs are E. coli and salmonella, and keeping your kitchen sanitized can be a simple as reaching for a bottle of white distilled vinegar. Here’s what I like to recommend.
- Wipe down all countertops, cutting boards, and cooking surfaces with a little soap and warm water, then rinse thoroughly.
- Allow the surfaces to air-dry, or wipe them dry with a clean paper towel.
- Pour a cup of white vinegar into a small saucepan or place in a microwave-safe container and heat it up to 150 degrees.
- Pour the vinegar into a spray bottle and coat the surfaces.
- Let the vinegar sit for a full minute before wiping it dry with another clean paper towel.
The warm vinegar will completely kill both of these dangerous germs. Add this very simple sanitizing tip to your daily routine and you’re guaranteed healthier days ahead.
This First Time Homeowner tip brought to you by Merillat cabinets, the dream kitchen for the real world.
- How to Remove Grease from Kitchen Cabinets (video)
- How to Clean Your Home Using Common Household Products (video)