Cracks in ceilings are caused mostly by the settling of the house and the expansion and contraction created during that settling.
Steps to repair a crack in a ceiling:
- Score the crack with a utility knife to remove any loose plaster or other material that may be inside the crack.
- Use mesh tape to cover the crack. This will allow the mud to bond directly to the plaster which will make the repair stronger.
- If your ceiling is drywall, you may have to add some screws to hold the two halves in place and make the crack even on both sides.
- Apply joint compound over the taped crack.
- Once the joint compound is dry, sand the ceiling smooth.
- Prime and paint the ceiling.
Read our article on How to Repair Cracks in a Drywall Ceiling to find out more.