[gpslideshow post_id=”36981″ exclude=”36994″ caption=”on”]
Sponsored message from
Watch this step-by-step slideshow to find out how to build a dry-stacked, concrete block wall using QUIKWALL. When working with cement-based products, always wear eye protection and waterproof gloves.
- Step 1: Begin with the construction of a footing slab. Once the footing has cured, dry-lay the first block row on top of the footing and chalk mark the block positions using a level and mason’s line for accuracy.
- Step 2: Remove the blocks and apply a 1/2-inch-thick bed of prepared surface bonding cement on the footing to bond the first course to the footing and correct any irregularities.
- Step 3: Place the first row, embedding the block to the mortar bed, to a final thickness of about 3/8-inch. Remove any excess material.
- Step 4: Check the alignment and level after positioning every three to four blocks.
- Step 5: Continue this process by dry stacking the remaining blocks in a running bond pattern to the desired height.
- Step 6: Add a cap block to the top course of block. For additional strength, fill the cavities with QUIKRETE® Sand/Topping Mix or QUIKRETE® Concrete Mix.
- Step 7: After dampening with a fine spray, apply a 1/8-inch-thick coating of surface bonding cement to the sides, top and exposed ends of the concrete block wall with a finishing trowel. Trowel to desired texture or finish.
- Step 8: Moist cure the wall after eight hours by dampening with a fine spray. Repeat spraying several times daily for three days.
To find out more, visit www.quikrete.com.