- Water, water, water! Early morning is the best time to water – target plants directly, and water deeply. Avoid getting leaves wet in the hot sun, and avoid soaking containers during the hottest part of the day – both of these can burn plants.
- Keep close watch on your birdbath, water features, and hummingbird feeder – take steps to correct or avoid mold, stagnation, and mosquito larvae.
- Continue weeding, to reduce competition for water and nutrients.
- Beware of powdery mildew, which is caused by moisture and humidity. Help prevent mildew by watering in the cool of the morning, when roots can absorb water but excess will evaporate as the day warms. Also avoid overhead sprinkling in mildew-prone areas. Do not compost leaves that are mildewed.
- When the temperature is over 85 degrees, avoid chemical applications such as fertilizer, fungicide, or insecticide.
- Add compost and mulch to keep your garden cool and to prepare for fall planting.
Stay cool, and enjoy the bounty of your work this growing season!
- Summer Lawn Care Guide
- Perennial Flower Garden Basics
- Vegetable Garden: Growing Warm-Season Vegetables
- Water-Saving Gadgets for Your Garden
Danny Lipford is among the country’s most sought-after home improvement experts.
The seasoned remodeling contractor and media personality served as the home improvement expert for CBS’s “The Early Show” and The Weather Channel for over a decade and has made more than 180 national television appearances on “Fox & Friends,” “Inside Edition,” “Morning Express with Robin Meade,” Fox Business Channel, Rachael Ray and more.
He travels the country making appearances as a brand ambassador and spokesperson, and each year contributes expertise to hundreds of popular magazines and online media outlets.
Chelsea Lipford Wolf is a born-and-raised home enthusiast, adding her crafty skills and passion for DIY as co-host of the top-rated, nationally syndicated “Today’s Homeowner” TV show.
In addition, Chelsea maintains her own home lifestyle and décor blog and award-winning web-series, “Checking in with Chelsea.”
WATCH THE SHOW: Don’t miss “Today’s Homeowner,” which airs each week on television nationwide. Check your local listings for time and channel.
Don’t miss out! Follow Today’s Homeowner on social media for exclusive videos, home improvement tips and behind-the-scenes photos.